How to Select a Literature School
Master's degree programs in literature prepare students to work as writers, secondary school teachers or in any other field that requires individuals who can communicate effectively. Literature programs leading to master's degrees may or may not require that students write a thesis in which they conduct extensive research on a specific literary topic or theory. Students who wish to teach English literature in secondary school must also complete courses in education in order to find work as English teachers or professors.
Literature students may wish to keep the following considerations in mind when deciding on a school:
- Choosing a program that boasts faculty members who hold doctoral degrees from prestigious universities is important to some students who pursue graduate degrees in literature.
- Schools that offer low student-to-teacher ratios may be desirable to students who want more individualized attention from their professors.
- Students seeking a degree program in literature may also wish to consider the specializations available, such as concentrations in creative writing, linguistics or poetry.
- Some students who may work full time or have other responsibilities may prefer applying to schools offering online and other distance education opportunities.
- Students interested in teaching careers may seek a graduate degree program that provides them with the opportunity to simultaneously earn master's degrees in both literature and education.
Top 10 Schools with English Graduate Degrees
|University of California - Berkeley||4-year, Public|
|Harvard University||4-year, Private not-for-profit|
|Stanford University||4-year, Private not-for-profit|
|Columbia University||4-year, Private not-for-profit|
|Princeton University||4-year, Private not-for-profit|
|University of Pennsylvania||4-year, Private not-for-profit|
|Yale University||4-year, Private not-for-profit|
|Cornell University||4-year, Private not-for-profit|
|University of Chicago||4-year, Private not-for-profit|
|Duke University||4-year, Private|