How to Select a Music Production School
Music production programs may be found at recording schools, art schools, community colleges and universities.
Consider the following when looking for music production schools:
- Individuals may want to seek recording arts programs that include courses in sound engineering, as well as business and communications.
- Prospective students must also choose between enrolling in a 4-year bachelor's degree program or a 2-year associate's degree program.
- Aspiring music producers want to look for schools that provide access to the newest audio equipment and computer software, in addition to internship opportunities.
Music Production Program Overviews
Associate's Degree in Music Production
Coursework in associate's degree programs focuses on the technical skills involved in audio production. Classes in business management and copyright law are typically included. Students complete general education requirements in math, social sciences and the humanities. Some programs allow students to earn credit from internships, and programs may culminate in the student creating a portfolio. It takes two years to complete most associate's degree programs, but some programs are offered on an accelerated schedule that allows full-time students to finish in one year. A high school diploma or the equivalent is required for admission. Core courses could include:
- Audio production for visual media
- Music production techniques
- Music theory
Bachelor's Degree in Music Production
Bachelor's degree programs offer many of the same technical courses that associate's degree programs do, but usually offer more opportunities to develop a specialty or to take advanced production courses. Prospective music producers may complete an internship and capstone project. A 4-year degree program explores concepts in:
- Sound synthesis
- Studio techniques
- Studio management
- Form and analysis
10 Schools with Music Production Programs
|Spokane Falls Community College||2-year, Public|
|The Arts Institutes||4-year, Private|
|American University||4-year, Private|
|Scottsdale Community College||2-year, Public|
|SAE Institute||2-year, Private|
|Academy of Art University||4-year, Private|
|IPR College of Creative Arts||4-year, Private|
|Daytona State College||4-year, Public|
|Washtenaw Community College||2-year, Public|
|Hennepin Technical College||2-year, Public|