If you are thinking of attending a college in northern Florida, some items to keep in mind are the location, size, net price and graduation rate of the schools you research. The schools that were evaluated are located near three northern Florida cities: Gainesville, Jacksonville or Tallahassee.
North Florida Schools Near Large Cities
- Florida State University (Tallahassee)
- University of Florida (Gainesville)
- Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University (Tallahassee)
- University of North Florida (Jacksonville)
- Santa Fe College (Gainesville)
Largest Schools in North Florida
The size of a school is often a determining factor when choosing what school to attend. Many students prefer larger campuses as they tend to offer more program varieties and activities. The five largest schools in northern Florida include colleges and universities, and three of the universities offer graduate programs as well.
- University of Florida (50,645 students)
- Florida State University (40,830 students)
- Florida State College at Jacksonville (26,164 students)
- University of North Florida (15,675 students)
- Santa Fe College (14,767 students)
Lowest Net Price
The price of a college is usually one of the most important aspects students consider when looking for a school. The National Center for Education Statistics (NCES) calculates the net price of a school by subtracting the average financial aid that students receive in a year from the average tuition and fees full-time undergraduate students pay annually to attend the college (2014-2015).
- Tallahassee Community College ($4,307)
- Jones College- Jacksonville ($6,471)
- Florida State College at Jacksonville ($6,935)
- Santa Fe College ($7,436)
- Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University ($11,112)
Highest Graduation Rate
The overall graduation rate is computed by NCES and based on how many full-time undergraduate students earned their associate's degree or certificate within 3 years or their bachelor's degree within 6 years (2014-2015). These five schools had the highest graduation rates of all the schools evaluated.
- University of Florida (87% graduation rate)
- Southeastern College-Jacksonville (80% graduation rate)
- Florida State University (79% graduation rate)
- Fortis College-Orange Park (69% graduation rate)
- Santa Fe College (59% graduation rate)
It may be possible to find a school in the North Florida region that offers the location, size, net price and graduation rate you are looking for.