CPR Classes in Philadelphia: Program and Course Descriptions
The Philadelphia area has a few schools that offer CPR classes. To make an informed education decision, learn about the courses and program requirements at three colleges located within 35 miles of the city's center.
Philadelphia CPR Schools
CPR training is required for many career fields, particularly in healthcare. Read about the class options and focus areas at three Philadelphia schools, and then find out more facts about each college in the table of statistics. A little info on two other school options is provided too.
- Harcum College has a single CPR and first aid course available to students. This school is about 10 miles from downtown Philadelphia.
- Roughly 24 miles from central Philadelphia is Montgomery County Community College. Students there can learn CPR through a first aid class or a course designed specifically for healthcare professionals.
- Bucks County Community College is around 34 miles from Philadelphia's downtown area and has four training options to choose from. They include courses in adult CPR, pediatric CPR, CPR for healthcare providers and CPR recertification.
The CPR class here fulfills a certification requirement for numerous programs at this school, including nursing, dental hygiene and physical therapy assistance.
First Aid and CPR Class
Students who complete this course are certified by the American Red Cross. In the class, students are educated on emergency situations involving shock, bleeding, child birth, fractures, poisoning and hypothermia. The CPR and emergency techniques students learn here are intended to be used on adults. Students are charged a laboratory fee in this class.
Montgomery County Community College
The CPR courses presented below can be taken as part of the curriculum for exercise and wellness programs.
Safety and First Aid Class
Students who want to learn how to treat someone suffering from a sudden illness or injury while waiting for EMTs to arrive can take this course. In addition to the first aid skills acquired in this program, students also can learn child and adult CPR as well as how to use an automated external defibrillator. This course is worth 3 credits.
CPR for the Healthcare Professional Class
This 1-credit class is intended for students who are planning on entering into a healthcare career. Students learn how to perform CPR on patients of all ages. This includes learning how to use automated external defibrillators, remove foreign objects that are obstructing airways and use a bag-mask device.
Bucks County Community College
In addition to attending CPR classes at a school campus, companies can contact the school and set up a CPR course for employees at a company location.
Heartsaver Adult CPR/AED and First Aid Class
This class option is intended for students who want to learn to use first aid and CPR on adults. The course takes 6 hours to complete. An $85 charge pays for the American Heart Association 2-year certification card and the instruction book.
Heartsaver Pediatric CPR and First Aid Class
In only 4 hours, students can finish this CPR and first aid class. This option is intended for adults working with children. A $65 fee is collected from students for a book and certification card.
CPR for Healthcare Providers Certification
In this CPR course, students receive training in infant, adult and child CPR as well as AED training. The certification is good for 2 years. The class lasts 6 hours, and students are required to pay an $85 fee.
CPR Recertification for Healthcare Providers and Community
The recertification option is recommended for students who have already acquired certification in CPR for healthcare providers. The fee for this course is $65. Students need only 4 hours to finish this class.
Comparison of Schools
To aid you in deciding which school to attend, review this table of facts and stats. It has details on student enrollment, campus setting, acceptance rates and more.
|Harcum College||Montgomery County Community College||Bucks County Community College|
|School Type||2-year; private not-for-profit||2-year; public||2-year; public|
|Total Enrollment (2011)||1,516*||10,735*||10,300*|
|Campus Setting||Large suburb||Large suburb||Large suburb|
|Tuition & Fees (2012-2013)||$20,050*||$4,050 for in-district; $7,710 for in-state; $11,370 for out-of-state*||$3,722 for in-district; $6,770 for in-state; $9,818 for out-of-state*|
|% of First-Year Students Receiving Some Form of Financial Aid (2010-2011)||97%*||51%*||45%*|
|Acceptance Rate (2012)||72%*||N/A - Open admission*||N/A - Open admission*|
|Retention Rate (students who began in 2010 and returned in 2011)||62% for full-time*||61% for full-time*||63% for full-time*|
|Graduation Rate (students who began in 2008)||37%*||12%*||11%*|
Source: *NCES College Navigator
Thomas Jefferson University is right in the heart of the Philadelphia area and has several CPR certification courses available. Another option is Delaware County Community College, which is only about 15 miles from downtown Philadelphia, has several CPR instructor classes, refresher courses and a BLS healthcare provider class.
Related to CPR Classes in Philadelphia
- Recently Updated
Learn cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) with these free online courses. See the full list of free CPR courses and find the...
Learn how to become a certified CPR instructor. Research the education requirements, training, certification and experience you...
Learn how to become a CPR trainer. Research the education requirements, training, certification, and experience you need to...
Cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) is perhaps the most important type of first aid that can be given to victims in cardiac...
- CPR Technician: Overview of Becoming a CPR Technician
- CPR Certified Technician: How to Earn Your Certification
- Associates Degree Programs that Include CPR Training: Program Info
- Career Info for a Multimedia & Digital Communications Degree
- Top School for E-Commerce & E-Business Management in Bakersfield, CA
- Chef Rudi Eichler Talks About Baking and Teaching with Study.com
- Environmental Planning Career Options and Requirements
- Online CPR Instructor Certification, Certificate and Diploma Programs
- Online CPR Instructor Courses and Classes Overview
- Building Libraries, Developing Minds: Study.com Speaks With the Riecken Foundation
- Hostage Negotiator: Job Description and Education Requirements
- Roller Coaster Engineer: Job Description and Education Requirements
Perfect School Search
- A - I
- K - R
- S - Y
- Nearby States