Dental Technician Training Programs and Requirements
Dental technicians are responsible for making crowns, dentures and other dental prosthetics. They also use plaster to make impressions and work with orthodontic appliances.
Many dental technicians hold only high school diplomas and receive on-the-job training. Those who want to become officially certified can look into certificate programs. Although not required, many dental technicians complete an associate degree in the field.
- Program Levels in Dental Technology: Certificate, Associate of Applied Science degree
- Program Length: 2 years
- Some Available Program Specializations: Dental anatomy, restorative techniques, orthodontic techniques
Associate of Applied Science Degree in Dental Technology
The Associate of Applied Science (A.A.S.) in Dental Technology is a 2-year, undergraduate degree program that is designed to prepare students for the workforce. Students may take courses in the following subjects:
- Dental anatomy
- Restorative techniques
- Orthodontic techniques
Dental technicians may receive clinical training during their degree program. The curriculum of most programs includes supervised, hands-on laboratory work. This provides students with the chance to gain practical experience making prosthetics.
Some educational institutions and dental organizations offer workshops for dental technicians and may address recent advancements made in the field, such as newly developed tools or techniques.
Although not required by most states, dental technicians may earn Dental Laboratory Technology National Board certification. This involves passing a specialty written exam, a comprehensive written examination and a specialty practical exam.
Certified dental technicians must complete 12 hours of continuing education every year in order to maintain certification. The Academy of General Dentistry and American Dental Association offer a variety of continuing education courses for dental technicians.
Related to Dental Technician Training
- Recently Updated
Dental technician programs train students to fit, create and set dentures, ceramics, crowns and other orthodontic pieces....
Read about certificate programs for dental technicians. Learn about the curriculum, employment outlook, salary trends and...
Learn about the education and preparation needed to become a dental technician. Get a quick view of the requirements, including...
Denture technicians provide technical assistance to denturists by creating and repairing physical dentures or similar dental...
- Info on Dental Apprenticeship Programs
- Dental Lab Technician Courses and Classes
- Become an Equine Dental Technician: Education and Career Roadmap
- Associate of Computer Systems & Networking Technology: Degree Overview
- Master's Degree in Human Development: Program Overview
- Information Technology (IT) Solutions Developer: Diploma Summary
- Home Health Care Nursing Certification and Diploma Programs