Drafting and Design Engineering
Students who want to be a part of the building process should consider drafting and design. Drafting and design engineering can teach students how to create plans and designs that can be followed by construction workers, architects and manufacturers.
Inside Drafting and Design Engineering
Creators of blueprints and drawings, drafters and design engineers work for manufacturing plants, construction agencies, design firms or engineering companies. Drafting and design engineers in construction fields might use an architect's rough drawings to create clear and representational diagrams, ensuring that buildings are made to exact specifications. Drafters and designers can also work in various facets of business and manufacturing from aerospace to home appliances.
Educational programs in this field teach the basics of computer-aided drafting and design. Drafting and design engineering programs are available at the certificate through bachelor's degree levels. Studies in drafting and engineering might include structural systems, technical systems, residential architectural design and mechanical drawing, among others. Review the links below for details about relevant programs of study.
- Undergraduate Drafting and Design Certificate
- AutoCAD Drafting Associate Degree
- Associate Degree in Mechanical Drafting
- Drafting and Design Bachelor's Degree
Distance Learning Options
Online learning in this field includes drafting and design classes and degree programs. Read through these Study.com articles to learn more about your online options.
- Drafting Classes Online
- Online AutoCAD Diploma
- Online Computer Drafting and Design Associate Degree
- Online Bachelor's Degree in Computer Drafting and Design
Individuals interested in this field should have strong abilities in math and science. Good communication and problem-solving skills are also important in the drafting and design engineering field.
Drafters and design engineers might find employment in the construction field as well as within engineering, manufacturing and architecture businesses. Opportunities could also be found in more specialized fields, such as automotive or heating and cooling systems design. Here are some jobs to consider.
- CAD Drafter
- Mechanical Drafter
- Aeronautical Drafter
- Architectural Drafter
- Electrical Drafter
- Design Engineer
- HVAC Design Engineer
- Manufacturing Design Engineer
- Product Design Engineer
- Automotive Design Engineer
Employment Outlook and Salary Information
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), employment of all drafters was projected to increase a negligible 1 percent from 2012-2022, though the electrical and electronics drafting sector was projected to experience positive change of 10 percent throughout the decade. In May 2013, architectural and civil drafters earned an average salary of $51,250 per year, the BLS reported, while electrical and electronics drafters made an average annual wage of $60,350. Mechanical drafters earned an average annual salary of $54,510, while all other types of drafters made an average wage of $50,930 per year (www.bls.gov).
Drafting and Design Engineering Related Articles
- Recently Updated
Learn about programs in drafting and design engineering, available at community and 4-year colleges or universities. Read about degree...
Engineering drafting and design programs generally offer associate degrees and emphasize math, fluency in computer-aided design programs and...
Research the computer-aided design and drafting (CADD) certificate programs available to aspiring graphic engineering drafters. Learn about...
- Drafting and Design Degrees in Seattle, WA
- Engineering Design Degree
- Drafting and Design Career Training in Miami
- Drafting and Design Career Training in Oklahoma City
- Drafting and Design Degree Program in Texas
- How to Choose an Engineering Design School
- Schools with Mechanical Design and Drafting Programs: How to Choose
- Pediatric Radiology Technologist: Job Description & Education Requirements
- South Dakota (SD): Overview of South Dakota's Educational System
- Credentialing Specialist: Job Description, Duties and Requirements
- Career Information for a Degree in Statistics
- Ultrasound Radiology Careers: Job Option and Requirements
Free online courses in graphic design are offered by real schools. Learn which graphic design courses are available, what topics they...
There are at least 14 schools within 25 miles of Chicago that have drawing courses. Read an overview of the programs, requirements and...
Drafting and Design Engineering Related Videos