Medical Social Work
Individuals interested in medical social work can pursue all levels of degree programs. While curricula vary between schools and degree levels, most clinical social work degree programs educate students in both physical and psychological aspects of medical illnesses.
Inside Medical Social Work
Medical social workers provide counseling to medical patients and their families. Medical social work professionals help these individuals work through emotional issues associated with their illnesses. They also offer practical aid, connecting terminally ill patients with services such as disease support groups, home health care aides and meal deliveries. If you think you have what it takes to become a medical social worker, read on for more information.
Bachelor's degree programs in social work examine course topics in anthropology, human behavior, research methods, lifespan development and family as a social institution. Master's and doctoral degree programs in clinical social work or human services build on these concepts, emphasizing topics such as crisis intervention and advanced family therapy. Many schools also offer medical social work as an area of degree specialization. Study.com provides articles to help you make your educational and career decisions.
- Social Worker: Education Overview
- How to Become a Social Worker
- Social Work Bachelors Degree Program Overview
- Social Work Graduate School Programs
- Masters Programs for Clinical Social Work: Degree Program Overview
- Clinical Social Work Ph.D. Degree Program Information
Distance Learning Options
Some colleges and universities offer online programs in medical social work. However, students may be required to complete a residency component on-site. Here are a few articles regarding relevant online training programs:
- Online Masters Programs for Medical Social Workers
- Online Licensed Clinical Social Worker Degree Program
- Online Schools for Licensed Clinical Social Workers
The degree required to practice as a medical social worker varies by state and employer, though all social workers must meet their states' licensing requirements prior to practicing. Employment opportunities are commonly found in home health care services, nursing care facilities, hospitals and family service agencies. Learn more about how to become a medical social worker; check out the articles below for more information on career paths in this field.
- Social Work Careers
- Medical Social Worker Career and Education Requirements
- Medical Social Worker: Career Information
- How to Become a Medical Social Worker
Employment Outlook and Salary Information
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), medical and public health social workers earned an average wage of $48,340 annually as of May 2012. Prospects for employment are expected to be extremely favorable. Specifically, the BLS stated that from 2012-2022, the number of health care social workers is projected to increase 27%.
Medical Social Work Related Articles
- Recently Updated
Learn about certification requirements and master's degree programs for medical social workers. Keep reading to find out about curriculum...
Have you ever thought about a career in social work? If you like helping others in need, you might consider the field. Here are a few of the...
Most people have a perception of med school that includes countless hours of lectures, lab work and studying without much sleep along the...
- Canine Massage Therapy Training Program and Career Information
- Ultrasound Radiologist: Education Requirements & Career Profile
- Open Education Around the World: Study.com Speaks with the University of Tokyo
- Sports Medicine - Physical Therapist: Education and Career Overview
- Job Description of a Video Blogger: Duties and Requirements
Corporate secretaries need to master the proper terminology, business writing and office management skills used by companies. Courses for...
Read about alternative medicine programs in aromatherapy, which is the use of natural oils and scents to promote physical and mental...
Medical Social Work Related Videos