Cinematography and Film Production
The movie industry is growing rapidly and remains appealing to many people. If you want to know about the cinematography and film production aspects of the industry, keep reading to explore the education and career options available.
Inside Cinematography and Film Production
Many jobs in the motion picture industry fall into the category of film production. Other categories are pre-production and post-production. Jobs may be available in production, camera, sound, electrical and grip, art, make-up and wardrobe departments. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), successful individuals in the film industry are creative, organized and business savvy (www.bls.gov).
Individuals interested in working on the production side of a motion picture may start preparing in high school. It is possible to break into the industry without formal training. However, formal training is available and may give individuals an edge on the competition.
Universities and colleges offer bachelor's degrees in video and film production, film, television and digital media, theater program and audio production. Students learn to use visual effects, audio and music to tie the production together and make it flow from start to finish. Graduate programs may lead to a master's degree in screenwriting and directing, design for stage and film and producing.
Learn more about the different programs offered in cinematography and film production and the skills you may acquire by visiting the links below.
- Film Production Programs
- Cinematography Programs
- Bachelor's in Film and Video Production
- Master's in Cinematography
Distance Learning Options
Distance learning options in cinematography include online courses and degree programs. Some institutions offer free online courses as well.
- Free Online Cinematography Courses
- Online Film Production Certificates
- Online Film Production Programs
- Online Bachelor's in Film
- Online Master's in Film
The following careers are a sample of the opportunities available in film production and cinematography. For some careers, certifications may increase your employment opportunities.
The BLS predicted employment for film editors, producers, directors and camera operators would increase by three percent between 2012 and 2022, which is slower than average. Those who have business skills and experience in the field could have better job prospects, as will individuals who move to major industry locations, like New York or Los Angeles. Producers and directors made an average salary of $92,390; film editors averaged $64,060; and camera operators made an average of $49,010 per year, according to May 2012 data from the BLS.
Cinematography and Film Production Related Articles
- Recently Updated
Read about cinematography and film production programs, which can usually be found in a college communications or fine arts department. Get...
Cinematography and film production degree programs generally teach students about editing, lighting and sound equipment and techniques....
The Chicago area has a handful of schools with programs in film and cinematography. Find the best program for you by reading about schools'...
- Independent Film Production Certificate Programs in Illinois
- Film Production Major
- Film Production Universities
- Independent Film Production Degrees in Minnesota
- Independent Film Production Career Training in Dallas
- Top Rated School for a Film and Cinematography Degree - Atlanta, GA
- PhD and Masters Degrees in Film Production: Info on Graduate Programs
- Top Business Management Degrees in Santa Ana, CA
- Students Saving Lives: Study.com Speaks With the Coordinator of EC-SAR
- The Best Free Education of 2012: Study.com People's Choice Awards Winners
- Health Care Advertiser: Job Description, Requirements and Career Info
- Career Information for a Degree in Welding Technology
While there are only two schools in Alexandria, there are 45 schools located within a 50-mile radius in Virginia. Read about the top...
Party planning classes provide students with valuable knowledge about organizing and running a business. Students also gain insights on...
Cinematography and Film Production Related Videos