Electrician Certificate Programs in San Bernardino
The San Bernardino area has at least three schools that offer electrician certificate programs. To make an informed education decision, learn about the admission and program requirements at the colleges, which are located within about 50 miles of the city's center.
Electrician Schools in the San Bernardino Area
There are a few schools with electrician training available in the San Bernardino area. Two of the colleges discussed in this article are within a 10-minute drive of downtown, while the other institution is almost an hour away. Read about the coursework and learning opportunities available at these schools, and then look over a table of stats to find out additional details on the colleges.
- At just three miles away, the closest school to downtown San Bernardino is San Bernardino Valley College. This school, which offers a general electrician certificate program, also happens to offer the lowest tuition rate out of the three schools profiled.
- Irvine Valley College provides an array of learning and academic development resources for aspiring electricians. Students can complete a certification program in the field at its campus located roughly 52 miles form central San Bernardino.
- Palomar College offers an apprenticeship program for electricians at its Riverside/San Bernardino Training Center. This campus is situated around four miles from the downtown area.
San Bernardino Valley College
San Bernardino Valley College offers a general electrician certificate program that requires the completion of 46 credits.
General Electrician Certificate
This electrician certificate program prepares students to sit for the California State General Electrician Certification exam. The courses in the program also meet the recertification requirements that must be met every three years for electricians to remain certified. Students take courses in industrial electricity, solid state circuit analysis, semiconductors and digital logic design. The program also includes some courses that don't directly involve electrical concepts, such as first aid and CPR as well as community relations.
Irvine Valley College
Irvine Valley College's (IVC) electronic technology division focuses on equipping students with the professional skills necessary for repairing technological equipment in fields like medicine, communication, computing, entertainment and automotives.
Electrician Certification Training
This program is designed to prepare students for entry-level careers as electricians and/or further education at the associate's or bachelor's degree levels. Courses are particularly suited for transferring to the two California State University campuses that are near IVC. Courses are taught in the evening, and students are allowed to choose between regular and fast-track curricula. Courses cover microprocessors, microcontrollers, electric circuits and residential wiring.
Although the Palomar College main campus is quite a ways from San Bernardino, it has a training center located only a few miles from downtown San Bernardino. This school offers an apprenticeship program for aspiring electricians.
Electrician Apprenticeship Program
This program takes five years to complete, and graduates become Journeyman Electricians. Incoming students must be 18 years of age and have a high school diploma or equivalent award. Students are paid while they learn and can receive scheduled increases as they become competent electricians. Students attend classes for a minimum of six hours each week. Students who complete the program end up with at least 8,000 hours of work experience.
Comparison of Schools
Find out what to expect from the profiled colleges in terms of costs, school setting, the number of students on campus and more in the table below. It has several facts and statistics to further assist you in your research on electrician school options in the area.
|San Bernardino Valley College||Irvine Valley College||Palomar College|
|School Type||Two-year; public||Two-year; public||Two-year; public|
|Total Enrollment (2011)||12,380*||13,254*||25,427*|
|Campus Setting||Midsize city||Midsize city||Small city|
|Tuition & Fees (2011-2012)||$795 in-state; $5,450 out-of-state*||$1,137 in-state; $6,934 out-of-state*||$1,052 in-state; $5,084 out-of-state*|
|% of First-Year Students Receiving Any Form of Financial Aid (2010-2011)||83%*||35%*||49%*|
|Acceptance Rate||N/A - open admissions||N/A - open admissions||N/A - open admissions|
|Retention Rate (2011)||63% of full-time students*||75% of full-time students*||66% of full-time students*|
|Graduation Rate (2011)||12%*||38%*||26%*|
Source: *National Center for Education Statistics.
Related to Electrician Certificate Programs in San Bernardino
- Recently Updated
Students interested in becoming electricians can enroll in community college certificate programs. In some cases, program...
Wichita has few schools with programs for electricians. Find the best program for you by reading about schools' graduation...
Few schools in the Memphis, TN, area have electrician programs. Read on to find out more about what one of these schools has to...
Electricians can look forward to steady employment at a good salary, because new construction, building retrofits and new...
- Electrician: Educational Requirements and Career Profile
- Career Information for an Electrician Degree or Certification
- Electrician Trades: Career and Degree Information
- How Do Study.com Courses Align With Common Core Standards?
- Financial Consultant: Job Description, Duties and Requirements
- Holistic Animal Care Tech Education Requirements
- Five Top Money-Saving Tips for College Students: Study.com's Readers Speak
- Online Electrician Schools: How to Choose
- Top College in Tucson for Becoming an Electrician
- Best Free Online Video Lectures: Study.com's People's Choice Award Winner
- Berkeley's Roll 'n Shoot Organizer Berton Mahardja Talks to Study.com
- Physical Trainer: Occupational Outlook and Educational Requirements
Perfect School Search
- A - I
- L - S
- S - W
- Nearby States
- Alameda, CA Schools
- Alhambra, CA Schools
- Anaheim, CA Schools
- Antioch, CA Schools
- Bakersfield, CA Schools
- Calexico, CA Schools
- Chula Vista, CA Schools
- Citrus Heights, CA Schools
- City of Industry, CA Schools
- Clovis, CA Schools
- Colton, CA Schools
- Concord, CA Schools
- Costa Mesa, CA Schools
- Diamond Bar, CA Schools
- Elk Grove, CA Schools
- Emeryville, CA Schools
- Fremont, CA Schools
- Fresno, CA Schools
- Garden Grove, CA Schools
- Gardena, CA Schools
- Glendale, CA Schools
- Hayward, CA Schools
- Huntington Park, CA Schools
- Irvine, CA Schools
- La Mesa, CA Schools
- Lathrop, CA Schools
- Long Beach, CA Schools
- Los Angeles, CA Schools
- Milpitas, CA Schools
- Modesto, CA Schools
- Monterey, CA Schools
- Norco, CA Schools
- North Hollywood, CA Schools
- Oakland, CA Schools
- Ontario, CA Schools
- Oxnard, CA Schools
- Palm Springs, CA Schools
- Panorama City, CA Schools
- Pasadena, CA Schools
- Pleasant Hill, CA Schools
- Pomona, CA Schools
- Rancho Cordova, CA Schools
- Reseda, CA Schools
- Riverside, CA Schools
- Rohnert Park, CA Schools
- Roseville, CA Schools
- Sacramento, CA Schools
- Salida, CA Schools
- Salinas, CA Schools
- San Bernardino, CA Schools
- San Diego, CA Schools
- San Dimas, CA Schools
- San Francisco, CA Schools
- San Jose, CA Schools
- San Leandro, CA Schools
- San Luis Obispo, CA Schools
- Santa Ana, CA Schools
- Santa Barbara, CA Schools
- Santa Monica, CA Schools
- Sherman Oaks, CA Schools
- Stanford, CA Schools
- Stockton, CA Schools
- Sunnyvale, CA Schools
- Sylmar, CA Schools
- Torrance, CA Schools
- Upland, CA Schools
- Victorville, CA Schools
- Visalia, CA Schools
- Vista, CA Schools
- Walnut Creek, CA Schools
- West Covina, CA Schools