Engineering Degrees From Accredited Distance Learning Programs
Accredited online engineering degree programs are available at the bachelor's degree level, though are more commonly offered as master's degree programs. Get details about distance learning programs and courses in engineering below.
Bachelor's Degree Overview
Programs leading to a bachelor's degree are often degree completion programs - junior and senior level courses are available. Typically, applicants must have an associate's degree in a related field from an accredited school. Participants may need to attend a specified number of labs on campus or attend training sessions at a school-approved local business in addition to distance learning instruction.
Electrical Engineering Courses
In a bachelor's degree in electrical engineering, students are concerned with the design, testing, supervision and manufacturing of electrical equipment. A focus is placed on generation and supply of power. Instruction in this discipline generally includes the following:
- Analog integration circuit design
- Analog design
- Management and engineering economics
- Fluid mechanics
- Applied thermodynamics
Master's Degree Overview
Distance learning master's degree programs in engineering are generally conducted entirely online while geared toward working professionals. Required credit hours vary according to school and program. Often, students have the option of submitting a thesis, which serves to fulfill a certain number of credit hour requirements. At the master's degree level, several specializations are available, some of which are noted below.
Construction Engineering or Civil Engineering Courses
In learning how to apply management techniques and engineering principles to the field of construction, candidates for this degree typically study the following subjects:
- Construction procurement
- Construction materials
- Pavement construction
- Environmental regulations and requirements
- Structural analysis
- Seismic design
Mechanical Engineering Courses
In this broad-based category of engineering, individuals develop the necessary skills to analyze, design and manufacture tools, machines and mechanical devices used to manufacture products. Some of the typical courses covered in this program include:
- Finite element analysis
- Electronic packaging and materials
- Heat transfer
- Solid mechanics
- Fluid mechanics and dynamics
Computer Software Engineering Courses
Earning degrees in fields that deal with the design and development of software systems for computers generally includes the following courses:
- Operating systems principles
- Advanced structure
- Artificial intelligence
- Software engineering
- Analysis of algorithms
Bachelor's Degree Holders
Holders of a Bachelor of Electrical Engineering or Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering are prepared for entry-level work in a number of fields, including the following:
- Computer systems and networks
- Power generation and distribution
- Instrumentation and automation
Master's Degree Holders
Those who complete a master's degree program in construction or civil engineering have a wide range of employment opportunities in private industry, as well as in local, municipal and federal agencies involving the design, supervision, renovation, demolition and replacement of roads, buildings, bridges, ports, water supplies and sewage systems.
Graduates with Master of Science degrees in Mechanical Engineering can find employment in the following areas:
- Research and development
- Systems management
- Product design
Individuals who earn a master's degree in computer software engineering can work as independent consultants. They can also find work within following:
- Computer systems design firms
- Software firms
- Manufacturing companies
- Financial institutions
- Insurance providers
Related to Accredited Online Engineering
- Recently Updated
University of Illinois professor Lynford L. Goddard has made quite a mark on the electrical and computer engineering (ECE)...
Optical engineers plan the design and development of optical systems and devices, including laser devices, light-emitting...
As of 2013, students who completed bachelor's programs in a variety of engineering disciplines were among the highest paid...
Read about the top schools for engineering, including those that offer programs in civil, chemical and mechanical engineering,...
- Maintenance Engineering Degree and Career Information
- Environmental Engineering Degree and Certification Information
- Welding Engineering Degree and Course Information
- Careers in Endocrinology: Job Options and Degree Requirements
- Be a Network Operations Center (NOC) Technician
- Radiologist: Educational Overview for a Career in Radiology
- Alternative Medicine: Overview for Becoming an Acupuncture Technician
- How Long Is a Masters Degree in Electrical Engineering?
- Online PhD Programs in Engineering: Degree Overviews
- Open Education Around the World: Study.com Speaks with the University of Southern Queensland
- Food Microbiologist: Job Description, Duties and Requirements
- Cancer Registrar: Job Description, Duties and Requirements