How to Select a Guitar Repair School
There are very few accredited schools that offer guitar repair programs. Students can find certificates and associate's degrees in guitar building and repair at a few technical colleges and specialized for-profit schools. In these programs, students learn to diagnose guitar problems and to execute the proper adjustments and repair actions required.
Consider the following when searching for guitar repair schools:
- Certificate and degree programs in guitar construction and repair are sparse, so prospective students may have to relocate in order to complete a program in this field.
- Since many programs are offered at private for-profit schools, costs can be substantial.
- A program that includes both electric and acoustic guitar repair will help students compete in the job market, along with hands-on instruction.
- A luthier certificate or associate's degree program in fine woodworking or music, which may include instruction in guitar repair, typically takes two years to complete.
Certificate and Diploma Programs
Certificate and diploma programs in guitar repair tend to take from 1-2 years to complete and focus narrowly on career skills. These programs have classroom and laboratory courses, an include instruction in:
- Advanced guitar building
- Guitar repair
- Guitar maintenance
- Hand and power tools
- Music theory
Associate's Degree Programs
Students may opt to pursue a luthier certificate as part of an Associate of Arts degree program in woodworking or music. These associate's degree programs can include instruction in:
- Instrument building and repair (including guitars, mandolins, violins and basses)
- Fine woodworking in cabinetry, furniture and door making
- Guitar wood body, neck adjustment, frets or finishes
- Electric guitar circuitry
10 Guitar Repair Schools
|Minnesota State College - Southeast Technical||2-year, Public|
|Renton Technical College||2-year, Public|
|Red Rocks Community College||2-year, Public|
|American School of Lutherie||Private, for-profit|
|ARC Guitar Building School||Private, for-profit|
|Colorado School of Lutherie||Private, for-profit|
|Galloup School of Guitar Building and Repair||Private, for-profit|
|Midwest Guitar Luthier School||Private, for-profit|
|Nazareth Guitar Institute||Private, for-profit|
|Roberto-Venn School of Luthiery||<2-year, Private, for-profit|