History Ph.D. Online Degree Program Possibilities
Ph.D. degree programs in history are not available totally online, but some graduate schools at four-year colleges or universities may offer a portion of the required coursework online. Read on to explore these programs, typical coursework, online learning methods and on-site requirements.
Students may earn a Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) in History through campus-based programs that incorporate some online education components. These programs are usually designed for those who possess history master's degrees and are seeking to establish their expertise in a particular area or aspect of history. Doctoral programs focus on preparing students for the demands of performing and analyzing research in addition to teaching in higher education institutions.
Courses available through online means tend to be those focused on a student's selected area of specialization. Certain online history courses involve group sessions and discussions conducted through online forums where etiquette is closely monitored. Hybrid doctoral programs in history can be offered by state-sponsored or for-profit institutions of higher learning. Students can complete a Ph.D. in roughly four years. Graduates could pursue positions at universities, museums, historical associations and government agencies.
Students pursuing graduate-level education in history generally focus on a specific geographic location and era. Select universities offer Ph.D. candidates the opportunity to earn a degree entirely focused on a specialty area, like the history of technology or military history. Doctoral students in hybrid programs might also concentrate on the history of academic subjects, such as the history of science, art history and music history.
Classes in graduate-level history programs cover topics such as historical preservation law, historical artifacts management and oral history interpretation. Some hybrid doctoral programs include courses in subjects related to history, such as economics, anthropology and linguistics. Ph.D. history students usually take courses centered on their specific areas of interest, but some possibilities include:
- Popular Culture throughout History
- History of American Indigenous People
- Analyzing Historical Data and Samples
- Research Methods for Historians
- History of Ancient Greece
Courses requiring a student's presence on campus are generally related to basic concepts of the field, such as research methods and historiography. Some programs also require students to complete teaching experiences and many doctoral candidates obtain graduate assistantships that involve on-campus duties. Candidates are required to compose a research-based dissertation conducted under the strict supervision of a faculty advisor. Ph.D. candidates must also defend their dissertation before a panel of experts. Some students may attend and/or present their work at various professional conferences.
Related to History Phd Online
- Recently Updated
Read about the top universities that offer history Ph.D. programs. Compare and contrast school rankings, specialization options...
A Ph.D. in History is the terminal degree in the field and can take up to seven years of study beyond any undergraduate...
Learn about Ph.D. programs for individuals who want to study military history. Read about the prerequisites, and review the...
A bachelor's degree program in history is a prerequisite for graduate schools. It also prepares students for educational...
- Do Schools Really Need to Teach History?
- Is Studying History Still Important?
- Campus Events that Shaped History
- Wardrobe Specialist: Education Requirements and Career Info
- Open Education Around the World: Study.com Speaks with The Open University
- Student Passes Calculus CLEP Exam After Using Study.com's Online Videos to Study for Just Five Days
- Educating the Children of Fallen Warriors: Study.com Speaks to the Special Operations Warrior Foundation
- Higher Ed Seeks to Create Living History for Students and Community
- The USGenWeb Census Project Is Rewriting History
- Media and Communication Careers: Job Options and Requirements
- Careers in Law Enforcement: Job Options and Education Requirements
- Top Health Information Technology Degrees - Long Beach, CA