Home Health Aide Course Online with Class Descriptions
Online home health aide courses are available through a limited number of colleges. This article provides an overview of these courses and the topics they typically cover.
Due to the hands-on nature of the home health field, training courses and programs for aspiring home health aides generally require some on-campus and field participation, and therefore are not commonly offered totally online. Upon completion of a home health aide online program, students are generally awarded a certificate of completion. Graduates may be required to obtain a state license prior to employment, and professional certification may be desirable to employers.
Online Course Descriptions
The following courses may be offered through online home health aide training programs.
Introduction to Aide Care
This course offers an overview of working with home-based clients and the elderly; students develop homemaking skills. Required field internships are arranged in a nursing home facility or hospice environment convenient to the student and approved by the school.
This course introduces home health aide students to basic medical definitions and abbreviations. Focus is placed on understanding root word, prefix and suffix meanings.
Specific courses may include nutritional therapy, in which students learn menu planning for individuals with specifics illnesses and diseases. Students learn how culture and psychology influence food behavior.
Anatomy and Physiology
Aspiring home health aides in this class study the human body, including bones and muscles as well as nervous, circulatory, respiratory and excretory systems. Focus is placed on each system's functions.
Students review basic math, with an emphasis on medication administration and how calculations affect dosages and measurements.
Individuals interested in working as home health aides can take one of three paths leading to certificates of completion:
- Continuing education programs exclusive to current CNAs
- Combination CNA and home health aide programs
- Career-entry programs for non-nursing assistants
The National Association of Homecare and Hospice provides the information that voluntary certification is available to graduates of a 75-credit home health aide course. Prospective home health aides must also pass a skills test and written exam. Students should check online home health aide curricula if interested in professional certification.
How Online Classes Work
Students may be able to take some lecture classes entirely online using a combination of hard-copy or virtual textbooks, chat room discussion boards, and video and audio recordings. Homework assignments and exams are submitted online. Other classes may be available in a hybrid format that combines on-campus attendance with distance learning.
Related to Home Health Aide Course Online
- Recently Updated
See our list of the top free online courses for home health aides. Learn what courses are available, what topics they cover and...
Home health aides provide long-term care in a patient's home. In order to practice, one must complete a state-approved home...
Home health aides often require little formal education. Learn about the training, job duties and licensing or certification to...
Home health aides require little formal education. Learn about the training, job duties and certification requirements to see...
- Online Home Health Aide Certification Information
- Home Health Care Aide Training and Education Program Overviews
- Home Health Aide: Starting a Career in Home Health Care
- Sterile Processing Technician Training Program Information
- Associate of Business Administration (ABA): Accounting Degree Overview
- Cosmetic Laser Technician Training and Education Program Information
- Ophthalmic Technician Certificate and Certification Program Info
- Health Care Aide: Vocational School Diploma Overview
- Home Health Care Training Programs and Courses
- Medical Ethics: Career Options and Requirements for Medical Ethicists
- Associate in Science (AS): Computer Information Systems Degree Overview
- Master of Business Administration (MBA): E-Commerce Degree Overview