Homeland Security Online Degree and Diploma Programs
Online degree and diploma programs in homeland security are available through a number of colleges and universities. This article provides a general overview of these programs.
Online degree and diploma programs in homeland security are available at the undergraduate and graduate levels and focus on law enforcement and public safety as these issues relate to crisis management and terrorism. Students can typically around their own schedules. Online bulletin boards and e-mail foster private and public communication between students and instructors.
Online Diploma Programs
Online diploma programs in homeland security may take as little as nine months to complete and are for those interested in entry-level homeland security careers, such as security guards and correctional officers. These programs provide students with a basic, foundational understanding of the homeland security field.
Common Areas of Study
- Hazardous materials and chemicals
- Internet security
- Gun training
Online Bachelor's Programs
Bachelor's degree programs in homeland security focus on the planning, management and implementation of security operations for an organization. Students gain the knowledge needed to aid in the prevention of terrorist attacks and the preparation of emergency procedures. Online bachelor's degree programs are generally 120 credit-hours and take four years to complete on a full-time basis. Graduates may find jobs as law enforcement officers, homeland security specialists, border patrol agents and customs agents.
Common Areas of Study
- Emergency planning
- Safety procedures
- Criminal and civil justice
- Tactical communications
- Emergency medical services
- Fire services
- Security operations ethics
- Domestic and international terrorism threats and situations
Online Master's Programs
Online master's degree programs in homeland security may be administered within the fields of criminal justice, professional studies or public health. Those in public health often focus on public health evaluation and preparedness, response to bioterrorism and disaster, health care systems protection and biosecurity issues. Master's degrees can usually be achieved upon completion of 60 course units. The curriculum of online master's degree programs in homeland security may be divided into different areas as follows:
Bioterrorism preparedness focuses on the threat of bioterrorism to agriculture, food supplies or animals. Students learn how to assess risk factors for terrorism and disaster, study the history of biological warfare and become familiar with the roles of local, state and federal government in biosecurity.
Disaster preparedness deals with the impacts of disasters, including natural disasters and diseases, on various social, cultural and economic situations. Students study causes and consequences of natural disasters as they learn to coordinate and design effective disaster plans to minimize negative effects.
Related to Distance Learning Homeland Security Diploma
- Recently Updated
Learn the details of a Bachelor of Homeland Security degree program. Research the subjects that students explore and see a list...
Read about an associate's program in civil justice with an emphasis in homeland security. Get info about the topics students...
Read about an associate's program in homeland security, including potential classroom topics of study. Research the career...
Find out what makes the top schools with programs in homeland security stand out. Learn about school rankings, special program...
- Homeland Security Jobs: Career Options and Requirements
- Online Associate Degree in Homeland Security: Program Information
- Online Masters Degree in Homeland Security: Program Summary
- A Healing Touch: Study.com Speaks With a Massage Therapy Professor
- Career As a Police Dog Trainer: Job Options and Requirements
- Nevada (NV): Colleges and Universities
- Hotel Payroll Specialist: Job Description, Duties and Requirements
- Online Colleges for Homeland Security Degrees: How to Choose
- Homeland Security Degree and Certificate Program Overviews
- Career Information for a Degree in Audio Visual Technologies
- Arbitration Attorney: Job Description, Duties and Salary
- Physical Trainer: Occupational Outlook and Educational Requirements