How to Select a Hospital-Based Nursing School
Select hospitals across the country offer diploma and associate's degree programs in nursing. Students who select an associate's degree program must take general education courses at a local college and may be awarded both a diploma and an associate's degree.
Consider the following when looking for hospital-based nursing schools:
- The National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission accredits programs and provides a state-by-state list of approved programs.
- Another consideration is the prerequisite coursework required by some programs and the corresponding program length.
- Students interested in specializing in a particular area of nursing should make sure that clinical rotations are available in that focus area such as cardiac nursing, critical care nursing, neonatal nursing, emergency nursing, obstetrics, surgery and trauma.
Hospital-Based Nursing Program Overviews
Diploma in Nursing
Diploma programs combine theory classes with clinical experience. Clinical experience trains students to work as part of a healthcare delivery team alongside physicians and other nurses. Some programs have an agreement with nearby community colleges that allow students to complete the additional coursework for an associate's degree while they earn their diploma. Diploma program coursework topics include:
- Psychosocial factors in nursing
Associate's Degree in Nursing
Students that choose to complete an associate's degree fulfill the same theory and clinical requirements as students in a diploma program. In addition to these courses, students complete general education requirements that may transfer over to a 4-year college. The general education courses are typically taken at an affiliated college rather than in the hospital setting. Courses in these programs include:
- Human anatomy and physiology
- Human development
10 Schools with Hospital-Based Nursing Programs
|College of Southern Nevada||4-year, Public|
|Everest College||2-year, Private|
|University of Southern California||4-year, Private|
|Sam Houston State University||4-year, Public|
|University of Texas at Austin||4-year, Public|
|East Tennessee State University||4-year, Public|
|Ferris State University||4-year, Public|
|University of Idaho||4-year, Public|
|University of Virginia||4-year, Public|
|John Hopkins University||4-year, Private|