International Business PhD Program Information
Learn details about doctoral-level studies in international business. Find out what prerequisites must be satisfied prior to enrollment and what courses are offered in these programs. Also get salary and employment outlook information.
A doctorate in international business is designed to teach today's business leaders how to teach tomorrow's business leaders and to conduct research in the field. Students will take courses in international trade, finance, economics and personnel management. Graduates of a Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) in International Business program will have extensive knowledge of the theory, finance, economics and trade skills that all apply to instructing the discipline at colleges and universities around the world.
A strong foundation and bachelor's-level background in business is required to pursue this high-level degree. The program consists of intensive business study courses along with independent research and a dissertation. The first two years are dedicated primarily to research and coursework, while the last 2-4 years are dedicated solely to the dissertation. Students will participate in an undergraduate teaching assistant program while enrolled. A Ph.D. in International Business program requires the successful completion of a competency exam prior to the dissertation.
A strong mathematical foundation is recommended for Ph.D. business candidates as well as some business administration experience. If the prospective student does not have a strong background in business, certain courses and training will be required prior to working toward the doctorate. A master's degree in a related field is also recommended.
All curriculum and course studies are incorporated with the intention of preparing the graduate to be an effective instructor. Here is a list of some specific courses and programs in the Ph.D. program:
- International macroeconomics
- Industrial organization
- Advanced finance
- International trade
- International human resource management
- Teaching internship
Career Outlook and Salary Information
Postsecondary business teachers constitute roughly 82,000 jobs in this country. The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) expects the number of all postsecondary teaching positions to increase by 17% for the decade 2010-2020 (www.bls.gov). Potential salary depends on the position held at the school. In May 2012, postsecondary business teachers made a median annual salary of $73,660.
Related to International Business Phd
- Recently Updated
Programs offered in international business prepare students to work in an integrated global economy. All graduate programs...
International business courses and classes provide students with the required knowledge and tools to compete in the global...
Degrees in international business are available at the bachelor's, master's and doctoral degree level. Employment in the field...
International business degrees are often required due to increasing globalization and the growing number of businesses...
- Top School in Raleigh, NC, for an International Business Degree
- Top-Ranked International Business Degree in Santa Ana, CA
- Top School in Sacramento for an International Business Degree
- Fighting for the Rights of LGBT Students: Study.com Speaks With Evelyn Thomas
- Telling Beautiful Stories: Study.com Speaks with the Illustrator of Seeds of Change
- Top School in Fort Lauderdale for a Computer Design Technology Degree
- Nursing Student Michelle Rex Wins Study.com's Textbooks for a Year Scholarship
- Top School in Pittsburgh for an International Business Degree
- Top School for an International Business Degree - Austin, TX
- A Virtual Classroom Pioneer: Study.com Speaks with the New Jersey Institute of Technology
- Career Information for a Degree in Advertising or Commercial Design
- What Is Study.com's Certificate of Completion?