IV Therapy Certification and Diploma Program Overviews
Certificate programs in IV therapy provide advanced training in the field. Students learn about topics such as fluid balance, safe fluid administration, allergic responses and more.
Although training in IV therapy is not typically offered through diploma programs, eligible candidates can take certificate programs that lead to certification.Some schools allow students to take IV certificate courses during the day, evening, or weekend. Once students complete the program and pass a written examination, they can obtain state certification, and IV therapy certification is added to their nursing license.
Applicants must be licensed practical nurses (LPNs) or registered nurses (RNs) and must be CPR-certified at the Health Care Provider level prior to the start of their clinical education. Students must also submit to criminal background checks.
- Program Levels in IV Therapy: Certificate
- Prerequisites: CPR certification, LPN or RN licence
Certificate in IV Therapy
The curriculum for this program includes coursework, laboratory studies, and clinical education in a medical setting. Students enrolled in these programs learn to correctly administer and collect fluids to and from patients, as well as the legal and ethical aspects involved in IV therapy. Students study the following topics:
- Intravenous therapy maintenance
- Intravenous catheters
- Antibiotic therapy
- Infection control
- Legal documentation
Popular Career Options
Upon completion of this program, students are qualified to work as medical professionals in various healthcare settings. Examples may include:
- Physicians' offices
- Assisted living facilities
- Long-term care facilities
Continuing Education and Certification Information
Although state certification can be obtained through completion of a training program, candidates can also become nationally certified. The Infusion Nurses Certification Corporation (INCC) offers national certification for registered nurses who pass the Certified Registered Nurse Infusion (CRNI) examination. Although the INCC certification is typically for registered nurses, applicants can also be LPNs if they're currently enrolled in an LP to RN program.
Related to IV Therapy Certification
- Recently Updated
Read about intravenous (IV) therapy training for nurses. Learn about program prerequisites, course topics, employment...
Intravenous (IV) therapy is administered to patients by licensed practical nurses, registered nurses, emergency medical...
Learn about the education and preparation needed to become an IV therapist. Get a quick view of the prior educational...
Training in intravenous (IV) therapy, which can prepare students for state or national certification, is intended for current...
- College Students Use Therapy Dogs for Stress Relief
- Become an IV Instructor: Education Requirements and Career Info
- Colon Therapy Certification and Certificate Program Info
- Associate in Advanced Medical Assisting: Degree Overview
- Dog Training Certification and Education Program Information
- Careers in Radiation Biology: Options and Requirements
- Publications Coordinator: Job Description and Requirements
- Intravenous Therapy Training and Certification Information
- Recreational Therapy Certification and Certificate Program Info
- Careers Working with Small Animals: Education and Career Info
- Doctor of Management in Information Systems & Technology: Degree Info
- Bachelor of Arts (BA): Media Arts Degree Overview