Would-be students living in and near Lewiston, Maine, have only a small number of colleges and universities to choose from. In this article, we take a closer look at traditional schools and compare them using data from the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES).
Closest Schools to Lewiston, Maine
Students wishing to attend school close to Lewiston have several 2-year and 4-year schools to choose from. Most of these schools only offer undergraduate degree programs.
- Bates College (located downtown)
- Central Maine Community College (3 miles from downtown)
- Bowdoin College (17.4 miles from downtown)
- Kaplan University-Augusta Campus (28.6 miles from downtown)
- University of Maine at Augusta (28.6 miles from downtown)
Largest Schools Near Lewiston, Maine
The largest schools in the Lewiston, ME, area are public institutions. However, students can select from private or public schools in the area with student populations ranging from hundreds to thousands.
- University of Southern Maine (8,428 students)
- University of Maine at Augusta (4,664 students)
- Central Maine Community College (3,162 students)
- Saint Joseph's College of Maine (2,933 students)
- Bowdoin College (1,805 students)
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
Lowest Net Price
The net price for the colleges in the Lewiston area ranged from about $3,000-$26,500, according to the NCES in 2014-2015. The organization determines the net price by taking the total cost of attendance for full-time undergrad students and then subtracting the average amount of government or institutional aid awarded at that school. At public colleges, the NCES uses in-district or in-state total cost figures.
- Central Maine Community College ($7,724)
- University of Maine at Augusta ($8,837)
- Kaplan University-Augusta Campus ($15,108)
- University of Southern Maine ($16,238)
- Bowdoin College ($23,156)
Highest Graduation Rates
The majority of the graduation rates for the area were over 50% for 2015, according to the NCES. These rates were based on full-time undergraduate students who completed their program within 150% of the normal time.
- Bowdoin College (93% graduation rate)
- Bates College (88% graduation rate)
- Saint Joseph's College of Maine (58% graduation rate)
- University of Southern Maine (33% graduation rate)
- Central Maine Community College (29% graduation rate)
The Lewiston, ME, area provides students with several public and private school options that differ in graduation rates, net prices, student population sizes, and locations.