Logistics PhD Degree Program Information
A Ph.D. in Logistics focuses on the operations and maintenance of supply chain management and transportation. This program is research intensive, and it prepares students to manage systems of information, resources and people.
Students in Ph.D. programs in logistics study and research the development, theory, and strategy of logistics modeling and operations in supply chain management and transportation. Doctoral degree candidates use analytical and empirical research methods and understand the process of forecasting, purchasing, inventory, and assembly. These full-time programs are also technology intensive.
- Program Levels in Logistics: Bachelor's, master's and doctoral degrees
- Prerequisites: Bachelor's degree; strong GMAT scores; relevant work experience sometimes preferred
Doctoral Degree in Logistics
A Ph.D. in Logistics requires a lot of writing and research from students. To get accepted into one of these programs, students need to have at least their bachelor's. Sometimes even a master's is preferred. A majority of a Ph.D. students' time is spent on researching, writing, and editing a dissertation. This is the culmination of their work and is presented to a panel that decides if the Ph.D. candidate may graduate. A written and oral exam is also necessary for degree completion. Students can expect to study:
- Logistical systems
- Methods of statistical research
- Modeling logistics
- Supply chain technology
- Transportation economics
Employment Outlook and Salary Information
This terminal degree program is intended for those entering academic professions, but may increase opportunities for upper-management positions, such as a logistics coordinator or manager. According to the BLS, employment opportunities for logisticians are expected to grow 22% from 2012-2022. The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS, www.bls.gov) reported in May 2014 that the mean annual salary earned by a logistician was $76,830.
Related to Logistic Phd
- Recently Updated
Learn about the education and preparation needed for a career in logistics. Get a quick view of the requirements as well as...
Learn about the education and preparation needed to become a logistics specialist. Get a quick view of the requirements -...
Learn about the education and preparation needed to become a logistics analyst. Get a quick view of the requirements as well as...
Learn about the education and preparation needed to become a logistics engineer. Get a quick view of the requirements as well...
- Top Schools and Colleges for Logistics Management Degrees in the U.S.
- Schools with Logistics Management Programs: How to Choose
- Logistics Consultant Salary, Requirements and Career Information
- Careers in Animal Research Science: Job Options and Requirements
- Associate Degree in Mathematics: Program Information
- Certified Data Analyst: Job Description and Certification Requirements
- County Jailer: Job Description, Duties and Requirements