Master Degree in Public Speaking: Program Overviews
Master's degree programs in public speaking are designed to offer instruction on interpersonal speech and public speaking techniques, showing how communication contributes to many industries today. Students in these programs complete thesis projects, independent research and seminars.
Students seeking graduate-level training in public speaking will find the most relevant courses within a 2-year master's degree program in communication studies or speech communication. Individuals enrolled in these programs study advertising and marketing, communication technology and persuasion techniques.
- Program Levels in Public Speaking: Bachelor's and master's degrees
- Prerequisites: Bachelor's degree; complete the GRE and receive high verbal and quantitative scores
- Program Length: 2 years
Master's Degree in Public Speaking
Some schools require applicants to hold a bachelor's degree in communications or public speaking, but some schools may not. Most of the courses included in a master's degree program in communication studies with relation to public speaking are intensive and focus highly on research and teaching methodologies. Some examples include:
- Qualitative communications research
- Rhetorical criticism
- Advanced public speaking
- Communication theory and practice
- Interpersonal communication
- Corporate communication
Popular Career Options
There are several positions related to public speaking that are available to a graduate of a master's degree program in communication studies. Some of these include:
- Professor of speech and communication
- Motivational speaker
- Media professional
- On-air consultant
Employment Outlook and Salary Info
The BLS states that postsecondary teachers earned a mean annual salary of $74,040 as of May 2014. It states that employment opportunities for this career from 2012-2022 are expected to grow 19%.
Related to Master Degree Public Speaking
- Recently Updated
People who work in public speaking professions make speeches and presentations to live audiences in a variety of settings. Read...
Students aspiring to careers in law enforcement, corrections or the administration of justice might consider enrolling in a...
Explore a master's degree in architecture. Learn about the prerequisites, courses, careers, licensing and continuing education...
A master's degree in gerontology is the advanced study of the psychology of human aging. Students in this program may choose to...
- Master of Communication: Degree Overview
- Master of Accountancy: Degree Overview
- Master of Accountancy (MAcc): Taxation Degree Overview
- MBA in Public Administration: Degree Overview
- Ophthalmic Technician Certificate and Certification Program Info
- Master of Health Science: Degree Overview
- Associate of Applied Science (AAS): Massage Therapy Degree Overview