Masters in Development Studies Degree Programs
Development studies is an interdisciplinary branch of social sciences that is concerned with the economic and social development of countries. Master's degree programs in development studies have an international focus.
These specialized degree programs are offered at U.S. schools, but they are more widely available in developing countries and in the United Kingdom, where the field originated. Master's degree programs can usually be completed in 1-2 years. A thesis is typically required. Many programs also offer study abroad or internship opportunities to students, which allow for valuable hands-on research.
- Prerequisites: Bachelor's degree in a related field
- Program Length: 1-2 years
- Experiential Learning: Study abroad, internship opportunities available
- Other Requirements: Thesis
Masters in Development Studies
Applicants must have at least a bachelor's degree, usually in a related field like economics, political science, international business, or history. Applicants should also expect to submit standardized test scores, college transcripts, letters of recommendation, and a statement of purpose. Coursework in master's degree programs in development studies can vary widely based on students' specializations and whether or not they choose to study, work, or do research overseas. Common courses include:
- Global economics
- Political issues in development
- Leadership in developing countries
- Statistics and econometrics
Popular Career Options
Development studies degrees can lead to a variety of careers. Many graduates choose to pursue a doctorate in a related field. Master's degree holders can find work as:
- Development consultants
- Independent researchers or analysts
- Nonprofit executives
Related to Masters in Development Studies
- Recently Updated
Development programs train students in economics and urban planning, preparing them to assess and improve the economic and...
Read about associate degree studies relating to solutions development. Find details about areas of study, admission...
A master's degree program in child development is available online as a specialization of a psychology, education, or child,...
Learn about bachelor's, master's and doctoral degree programs in development studies. Get information on these programs,...
- Master's Degree in Human Development: Program Overview
- Masters Degree in Child and Adolescent Development: Program Info
- Masters Degree in Child Development: Program Overview
- Certified Anesthesia Technician: Job Description, Duties & Requirements
- Sign Language Teacher: Education, Salary and Career Info
- Forensic Pathology Assistant: Job Description, Duties and Requirements
- Technical Support Manager: Job Description, Requirements & Salary Info
- Curriculum Development Masters Degree Program Information
- Career Options for a Master's in Organizational Development Degree
- Jobs and Degrees to Help Abused Animals: Options and Requirements
- Field Epidemiologist: Job Description, Duties and Requirements
- Hospital Finance Jobs: Career Options and Requirements