Masters in Networking: Degree Program Overviews
In networking master's degree programs, students learn how to handle the challenges of building and maintaining networks in a corporate setting. They also learn the fundamentals of local area networks and Internet networks, including knowledge and implementation of firewalls, internal systems configuration, software compatibility, Internet protocols and various security models.
Master's degrees in networking can be found in a variety of forms, including programs that combine networking with communications, system administration or engineering. Many programs focus on network design, network maintenance, network security or network administration. Whatever the area of emphasis, most networking master's degrees have at least some focus on network security, which is a skill in increasing demand in an environment where electronic theft can pose major problems for organizations.
- Prerequisites: A bachelor's degree, submit transcripts and test score; many schools prefer students with degrees in computer science; and experience in a related field
- Length of Study: One to three years including a comprehensive exam and a thesis
Master's Degree in Networking
Classes in these programs are often conducive to distance learning and are therefore often offered online; however, if a student takes a course online, he or she may be required to purchase necessary networking software, which can be expensive. Here are some classes that might appear in the curriculum:
- Internet protocols
- Internet crimes and security
- System administration
- Network design and evaluation
Popular Career Options
Graduates of master's degree in networking often accept leadership positions in teams of network technicians and engineers. Here are some examples of job titles available to those who hold this degree:
- System administrator
- Network engineer
- Senior network technicians
- Network analyst
- Networking consultant
Related to Masters in Networking
- Recently Updated
Networking professionals combine computer skills training with a working knowledge of network security protocols and functions...
At least eight schools in the Bellevue area have top ranking networking and telecommunications programs. Read on to find out...
Students interested in studying networking and telecommunications in Minneapolis have many schools to choose from. Read about a...
Only four schools in the Boise, ID, area have top ranking networking and telecommunications programs. Read on to find out what...
- Top School for a Networking and Telecommunications Degree - Pomona, CA
- Top Networking & Telecommunications Degrees in Alexandria, VA
- Top College in Westminster, CO, for Networking Classes
- Electronics Technician: Career School Diploma Program Summary
- Masters Degree in Cultural Anthropology: Program Information
- Internet Programmer: Career Diploma Program Overview
- Graduate Programs in Film Directing: Degree Options