An MDS (minimum data set) coordinator interacts with admin and medical staff to ensure that patients' records meet government regulations. MDS coordinators are certified by the American Association of Nurse Assessment Coordinators (AANAC) through a 10-course online program and most are either licensed vocational nurses (LVN) or registered nurses (RN).
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Anesthesiologist Assistant
- Chiropractic Technician
- Clinical Laboratory Assistant
- EMT Ambulance
- Health Aide
- Home Health Aide
- Medical or Clinical Assistant
- Medication Aide
- Occupational Therapist Assistant
- Pathology Assistant
- Pharmacy Technician
- Physical Therapist Assistant
- Respiratory Therapy Technician
- Veterinary Technician
10 Schools with MDS Coordinator Programs
The below schools offer nursing programs, which are a useful first step for aspiring MDS coordinators:
|College/University||Location||Institution Type||Degrees Offered||Tuition and Fees, In-State, Undergraduate (2015-2016)*|
|Arizona State University||Phoenix, AZ||4-year, Public||Diploma, Undergraduate Certificate, Bachelor's, Master's, Doctorate||$10,158|
|Miami Dade College||Miami, FL||4-year, Public||Associate's, Bachelor's||$2,834|
|Ohio State University||Columbus, OH||4-year, Public||Bachelor's, Master's, Doctorate||$10,037|
|University of Florida||Gainesville, FL||4-year, Public||Bachelor's, Doctorate||$6,381|
|University of Minnesota - Twin Cities||Minneapolis, MN||4-year, Public||Bachelor's, Master's, Graduate Certificate Doctorate||$13,790|
|University of Central Florida||Orlando, FL||4-year, Public||Associate's, Bachelor's, Master's, Graduate Certificate, Doctorate||$6,368|
|The University of Texas at Austin||Austin, TX||4-year, Public||Associate's, Bachelor's, Master's, Graduate Certificate, Doctorate||$9,806|
|Michigan State University||East Lansing, MI||4-year, Public||Undergraduate Certificate, Bachelor's, Master's, Doctorate||$13,560|
|University of South Florida||Tampa, FL||4-year, Public||Bachelor's, Master's, Graduate Certificate, Doctorate||$6,410|
|Pennsylvania State University||University Park, PA||4-year, Public||Undergraduate Certificate, Bachelor's, Master's, Graduate Certificate, Doctorate||$17,514|
Source: *National Center for Education Statistics
School Selection Criteria
Consider the following when looking for MDS coordinator schools:
- When choosing a nursing degree program for an LVN, RN or BSN program, a prospective student should consider the opportunities to gain hands-on clinical experience.
- Nursing students looking to become MDS coordinators generally should look for accredited programs to be eligible to take the National Council Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN).
- Typically, universities and colleges with long-established nursing degree programs have the strongest teachers and instructors.
- Students should consider the internship opportunities provided by prospective schools.
Before receiving certification by the AANAC, MDC coordinators are typically licensed or registered nurses. As such, pursuing degrees in nursing is a requirement for future MDC coordinators.