You can learn about colleges and universities near New Britain, Connecticut, by looking at data from the National Center for Education Statistics. This information may be able to help you make your college decision.
Closest Schools to New Britain, Connecticut
New Britain, located less than half an hour from Connecticut's capital city of Hartford, is home to only two postsecondary institutions. However, there are many colleges and universities only a few miles away. Check out the following five schools if you want to stay as close to New Britain as possible.
- Central Connecticut State University (0.8 miles from downtown)
- Charter Oak State College (1.7 miles from downtown)
- Tunxis Community College (5.5 miles from downtown)
- Lincoln College of New England-Southington (6.7 miles from downtown)
- Trinity College (6.9 miles from downtown)
Largest Schools Near New Britain, Connecticut
At a school with a larger student population, you may have the opportunity to interact with students from a wide range of backgrounds. The five largest schools in the New Britain area are midsize institutions. The following are their student populations, according to the NCES.
- Central Connecticut State University (12,086 students)
- Quinnipiac University (9,654 students)
- Post University (7,429 students)
- Naugatuck Valley Community College (6,976 students)
- University of Hartford (6,912 students)
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
Schools with Lowest Net Price
College affordability is a major consideration for many students. It can help to look at a school's net price, which is the total cost of attendance for a full-time undergraduate student, minus the average financial aid award. According to the NCES, these five schools had the lowest net prices for the 2014-2015 academic year.
- Manchester Community College ($3,981 per year)
- Middlesex Community College ($4,437 per year)
- Northwestern Connecticut Community College ($5,523 per year)
- Naugatuck Community College ($6,196 per year)
- University of Connecticut-Tri-Campus ($6,442 per year)
Schools with Highest Graduation Rates
The NCES determines a school's graduation rate based on the proportion of full-time undergraduates who completed their programs within 150% of normal time. A high graduation rate is often a sign that a school provides an effective learning environment. These were the five schools in the New Britain area with the highest graduation rates for students who finished in 2015.
- Wesleyan University (94%)
- Trinity College (86%)
- Quinnipiac University (76%)
- University of Connecticut-Tri-Campus (58%)
- Central Connecticut State University (57%)
Because there is such a wide variety of colleges and universities in the New Britain area, it can be a great place to get an education.