Occupational Therapy Assistant Certificate Program Overviews
Occupational therapists help ill or injured patients regain basic skills, such as dressing themselves and eating independently. There are no certificate programs for students who are aspiring to become occupational therapy assistants. However, several colleges and universities offer 2-year occupational therapy assistant (OTA) associate's degree programs.
These programs feature lectures and emphasize hands-on, clinical experience. Students gain a basic understanding of medical terminology, human anatomy and patient care techniques. They are also prepared to sit for the National Occupational Therapy Assistant Certification Examination, given by the National Board for Certification in Occupational Therapy.
- Program Levels for Occupational Therapy Assistance: Associate's degree
- Prerequisites: High school degree or GED
- Other Requirements: CPR certification, completion of certain math and science classes
- Experiential Learning: Hands-on work through clinical experience
- Program Length: 2 years
Associate's Degree in Occupational Therapy Assistance
Core courses in an occupational therapy assistant program might include the following:
- Anatomy and physiology
- Human growth and development
- Introduction to occupational therapy
- Occupational therapy skills
- Occupational therapy and disabilities
- Occupational therapy and physical dysfunction
Employment Outlook and Salary Info
Demand for occupational therapy assistants was forecast to grow by 41 percent between 2012 and 2022, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, www.bls.gov. This growth was expected to be fueled by an increase in the number of aging baby boomers requiring occupational therapy in the face of degenerative conditions. The mean annual wage of occupational therapy assistants was $57,260 in 2014.
Continuing Education Information
Occupational therapy assistants who aspire to advance in the occupational therapy field will need to continue their education at a 4-year college or university. In general, a master's degree is the minimum educational requirement for employment as an occupational therapist.
Related to Occupational Therapy Assistant Certification
- Recently Updated
Research occupational therapy assistant associate's degree programs. Get information about courses, licensing options,...
Occupational therapy assistants require little formal education. Learn about the education, job duties and licensure...
Read about an associate's degree program for the aspiring occupational therapy assistant. Explore the educational prerequisites...
Online programs in occupational therapy are offered in a hybrid format. Schools typically include hands-on practicums to meet...
- Online Certified Occupational Therapy Assistant Classes and Courses
- Online Occupational Therapy Assistant Certification Info
- Pediatric Occupational Therapy Assistant: Job Description & Requirements
- Associates Degree in Speech Pathology: Program Info
- Associate of Home Technology Integration: Degree Overview
- Advanced Massage Therapy Certificate: Program Overview
- Salary and Career Information for a Bachelors Degree in Business