Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Computer Graphics
- Database Administration and Data Warehousing
- Web Page and Digital Design
Online Database Management Classes
Online classes are offered at a range of levels, from basic operations to more advanced classes in database system implementation and programming. Additionally, many classes focus on specific industry-standard database systems, including Oracle and Microsoft SQL. The following are a few of the common courses students can expect to find.
- Database Management Fundamentals and Administration: Students gain a basic understanding of database models and environments as they learn to manage database components. Topics discussed include data input, data sorting (tables, filters and queries), database troubleshooting and database security.
- Database Design and Implementation: Students in upper-level courses acquire a better understanding of database system structures and learn structured query language (SQL). These skills prepare them to plan, design and set-up relational, network and object-oriented databases. Students also learn to perform and design database functions like report generation, data analysis using multiple constraints, data recovery and transfer and maintenance of data consistency and integrity.
- Database System Programming: This online class emphasizes the computer programming aspects of database management. Through instruction in advanced SQL and other programming languages, students learn to design database system functions, including web applications, database triggers, report forms and security configuration.
- Data Mining: Once information in a database has been collected, it needs to be analyzed to identify hidden patterns and single out the most important information. Data mining courses teach students how to use algorithms to extract meaning from large data sets.
- Relational Databases: This course focuses specifically on the design and implementation of relational database systems in open and closed systems, as well as on mainframe and client/server platforms. Students learn how to integrate data from previous systems into new relational databases.
- Big Data: This course explores the fundamentals of big data and its growing importance in many industries. Emphasis is placed on processing architectures, big data analytical methods and the integration of big data and data warehouses.
Online courses in database management are offered through university extension departments and computer science departments, individually and as part of both graduate and undergraduate degree and certificate programs in database management and related areas. Program examples include the Bachelor of Science in Information Technology and a graduate certificate in database management and business intelligence.
While the majority of online classes are continuing education courses that require students to have some previous experience with database management, some certificate and degree programs offer introductory classes as well. Online classes are offered in self-paced and fixed-date formats.
Students in online database management courses can get a general introduction to the topic, or they can pursue more specialized coursework that focuses specifically on information technology subtopics. Some courses are part of continuing education programs, while others are included in undergraduate or graduate degree programs.