Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Aesthetician and Skin Care
- Barber and Hair Cutting Services
- Beauty Salon Management
- Cosmetology, Hair, and Nail Instructor
- Facial Treatment Specialist
- Hair Design
- Make-Up Artist
- Nail Technician - Manicurist
- Permanent Cosmetics and Tattooing
Online Courses for Estheticians
The following list contains a few examples of course topics that estheticians can expect to encounter:
- Laws & Rules Course: Before delving into actual practice, students can benefit greatly by learning about the rules and regulations as defined by a state's board of cosmetology. This course covers requirements for licensure in a particular state, as well as important sanitation and ethics policies.
- Facials Course: The face is one of the most common areas an esthetician can expect to work on, and this course introduces the essential concepts and principles related to facial work and care. Students explore the brushes and utensils used in this type of work, as well as the anatomy of the skin. Students also learn about basic marketing techniques and common products and ingredients used by professionals.
- Nail Technology Course: Recent fashion trends have placed an emphasis on finger and toenails, as manicures and pedicures have become increasingly popular. Students in this course will learn about the techniques and practices associated with nails.
- Hair Removal Courses: Estheticians are expected to deal with hair in addition to skin and nails. In hair removal courses, a student can learn about the various removal techniques, such as waxing, threading and electrolysis.
- Makeup Courses: Beyond keeping the skin, hair and nails healthy, estheticians should also expect to encounter makeup in their practice. Makeup courses cover the application and removal of makeup while keeping the health of the skin in mind.
Online continuing education courses for estheticians offer professional, licensed estheticians the opportunity to fulfill state re-licensure requirements. These courses are available only to individuals who have already completed state-required instructional and practical training for the license and have passed the licensure exam. State-approved online continuing education courses can fulfill the mandatory hours and topic requirements for renewal in that particular state.
Depending on the state, online courses for estheticians typically focus on state cosmetology laws, sanitation and sterilization, occupational safety, salon ventilation, skin care essentials and HIV/AIDS training. There are also diagnosis and treatment courses for skin conditions such as atopic dermatitis, acne, scleroderma and rosacea.
Although a select few community colleges offer online courses that meet state renewal requirements, many private cosmetology schools offer state-approved online continuing education programs that sell license renewal packages online. These packages contain the necessary training information, continuing education registration and/or course evaluation materials for estheticians to prepare for the state-mandated test for re-licensure, if it's required.
Estheticians needing to renew their license and get up-to-date training can do so online. Students should check their state's licensure laws and make sure their program fulfills the requirements. Once in courses, estheticians learn about law, safety, techniques and products that are important to both their practice and getting re-licensed.