Online Airframe Technology Courses
Below are some brief descriptions of available online courses:
- Airframe Structures and Applications: In this course, students are introduced to the materials and fabrics, such as metal, wood and fiberglass, used in the structure of an aircraft. Students are then instructed on the theories and methods of fabricating and welding these materials.
- Airframe Systems Structures and Applications: The online systems structures and applications course looks at an aircraft's internal systems, as well as the inspection of an aircraft. Students are exposed to topics in electrical, fuel, atmosphere control, navigation and communication systems. The course also explores issues of fire protection as well as rain and ice control.
- General Aeronautics and Applications: This course serves as the foundation for airframe technology and aviation maintenance. Students cover basic aeronautical math and physics, as well as government regulations, tools and aircraft servicing.
- Aircraft Electrical Systems Theory: In this course students cover the basics of electrical systems, including AC and DC circuits, batteries, generators and magnetism, and more.
- Turbine Engine Theory and Applications: Students in this course learn about aircraft propulsion systems, particularly those having to do with propellers and turbines.
Airframe technology online courses are part of aviation maintenance degree and certificate programs. The aviation maintenance bachelor's degree programs allow students to specialize in either management or safety. The certificate program is intended for experienced individuals wanting to advance their skills in order to become licensed mechanics. Students are introduced to airframe technology, as well as powerplant technology and propulsion systems.
Programs combine theory with hands-on training. All theoretical courses can be taken online, while hands-on courses can be completed at campus locations or affiliated learning centers. In addition to on-campus and online learning, schools can offer blended classes and virtual classrooms that incorporate web conferencing and online chat rooms.
Airframe technology is a niche subject, but does have an online option. Students interested in airframe technology should consider aviation maintenance as the base from which to bolster their interest.