Online courses in risk management are offered by various postsecondary institutions and may be found individually or as part of undergraduate and graduate certificate and degree programs in general management or business administration. Risk management studies may also be found in specialized fields, such as healthcare risk management, or in combination with studies in another field, such as insurance or information security.
Coursework is generally available in different formats, from lecture notes to live or prerecorded video lectures. Students typically have access to professors and the opportunity to communicate with other students through open forums. Some programs require students to complete exams, so students may need to find an approved proctor.
Online Risk Management Courses
These are courses commonly offered in risk management programs.
- Risk Assessment: Assessing risk is a major part of working in risk management, particularly where making decisions is concerned. Students look at risk perception and various ways to deal with potential risks and uncertainties.
- Public Relations: Public relations involves maintaining an organization's image in the public's eye. Students learn how to develop and implement campaigns and other media-related materials for organizations.
- Business Communication: Communication skills are key in any industry. A business communication course covers oral, written and interpersonal skills that make for effective communicators in both personal and professional situations.
- Financial Forecasting: Financial forecasting is an important skill for managers, especially when it comes to making strategic decisions for the future. Students examine forecasting methodology and applications, including earnings forecasts, cost prediction and cash flow forecasting.
- Organizational Management: Students taking an organizational management course explore what makes organizations both effective and efficient. Topics include organizational structure, along with the role and responsibilities of those in management positions.
- Crisis Management & Business Continuity: This course addresses anticipating, planning for, managing and recovering from crisises in business or other large organizations. In addition to managing crisises, the course also covers managing communications and mitigating damage arising from a crisis.