Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Athletic Trainer
- Cardiovascular Technologies
- Electrocardiograph Tech. - ECG, EKG
- Electroencephalographic Tech. - EEG, END
- EMT and Paramedic
- Genetic Therapy
- Industrial Radiologic Technology
- Medical Radiologic Therapist
- Nuclear Medical Technologist
- Physician Assistant
- Radiation Protection Technology
- Radiological Science and Technologies
- Respiratory Care Therapy
- Surgical Technologies
- Ultrasound and Sonography Technologies
Diagnostic medical sonographers use ultrasound equipment to direct sound waves into the body to produce an image or video used for detecting abnormalities in patients, as well as in fetuses. Online courses in diagnostic medical sonography may be part of certificate, associate degree and bachelor's degree programs in the field. Diagnostic medical sonography courses typically cover principles and methods for conducting sonographic examinations, as well as for using the equipment. Distance-learning students need to complete hands-on training sessions at local hospitals or healthcare facilities.
Online Diagnostic Medical Sonography Courses
The descriptions below highlight some commonly offered online courses in diagnostic medical sonography.
- Introduction to Sonography: Online courses to be a diagnostic medical sonographer generally begin with this introductory course, which teaches the foundations of sonography. Distance students learn the terminology and study anatomical relationships. They also scan plane orientations and are introduced to basic sonography technology. This course also offers training in hospital organization, basic patient care principles and administrative operations to prepare students for medical careers.
- Sectional Anatomy: The primary duty of a diagnostic medical sonographer is to create accurate images of the body, so sonographers must understand both anatomy and the ways the body can be imaged. This course teaches online students to view anatomy through transverse, longitudinal and coronal planes. Special topics include vasculature and abdominopelvic organs. In addition to online lectures and assignments, online learners may be required to complete hands-on training sessions at local area facilities.
- Abdominal Sonography: This course teaches students the essential diagnostic techniques used by diagnostic medical sonographers in interpreting information from abdominal sonographs. Distance education students learn how to distinguish normal and abnormal sonographic patterns while studying pathology, clinical signs, normal variants and clinical laboratory tests. Clinical sessions at local area facilities may be required.
- Physics of Ultrasound I: This course introduces the principles of ultrasound equipment and the images that each produces. Online learners discuss the basic principles of acoustical physics such as sound waves, acoustical properties, transducer characteristics and range calculations. Artifacts in imaging and motion detection are also introduced.
- Obstetrical and Gynecological Sonography: Pelvic and obstetrical sonographic examinations are the focus of this online course in diagnostic medical sonography. Online students study sonographic images to learn gynecologic and fetal anatomy. They are trained to use clinical testing, sonographic images and symptoms to detect normal growth of a fetus, as well as gynecological and fetal anomalies.
- Vascular Sonography: Online students study vascular anatomy, including the carotid artery and abdominal aorta, as well as scan protocols and techniques. This course trains future diagnostic medical sonographers to evaluate these structures utilizing 2-dimensional, Doppler and pressure readings. Distance learners discuss disease symptoms, as well as image abnormalities.
- Advanced Sonography: In this course, students learn how to use more advanced technologies for sonography, including contrast imaging and 3- and 4-dimensional ultrasound techniques. The course also introduces students to new and cutting edge methods of sonographic imaging.