Online Cybersecurity Master's Degree Program Information
As the fusion of business and Internet technology continues to expand, so has the field of cyber security. That's why several colleges and universities offer online master's degree programs to provide advanced training in the field. Read on to see program details, coursework and career options.
A master's degree program in cyber security provides students with the skills to protect networks, communication and data. Just like those enrolled in traditional campus-based programs, students in an online program in this field learn to plan, implement and manage enterprise level security and system integrity. While not always the case, many online graduate programs in cyber security are designed for experienced professionals looking to advance their skills and careers.
Four-year institutions that offer these master's degrees require students to have a bachelor's degree, ideally with a relevant background in computer science or engineering. Those students without this academic background may have to take prerequisite courses. Relevant work experience, graduate test scores and recommendation letters are common admissions factors as well.
Distance learners enrolled in an online cyber security master's program typically take core courses devoted to network security, digital forensics, information assurance and cryptography. Programs often include a number of online elective options so that students can pursue specific areas of interest, such as cyber forensics, risk management, biometrics or security intelligence. Cyber security programs at this level typically culminate with some type of research project. Typical distance learning courses may include the following:
- Security planning and management
- Leadership and professionalism
- Information technology and system security
- Wireless security
- Cyber law, regulations and compliance
- Network security, hacking, vulnerability, assessment, security policies and standards
- Information security
- Network intrusion
Some coursework in online cyber security master's degree programs might also prepare students for various IT exams leading to professional certification. These may include certifications in the following:
- CompTIA Network+
- PW0-200 Wireless LAN Security
- EC-Council Disaster Recovery
- EC-Council Ethical Hacking and Countermeasures
- EC-Council Computer Hacking Forensic Investigator
Cyber security programs are highly adaptable to an online format. Many distance learning programs use a course management site, such as Blackboard, to post assignments, lectures and discussions for students to complete. These virtual classrooms can usually be accessed any time of day; students just need to be sure they adhere to course due dates when completing work. Discussion boards, Web conferencing and chat rooms are all common methods of interaction between classmates and instructors.
Graduates of an online master's degree program in cyber security have several career paths open to them, as their skills are valuable across multiple industries. Professionals with expertise in this field are needed in private business, the military and in governmental agencies. Examples of job titles include:
- Network security specialist
- Network administrator
- Information security technician
- Network or cyber security expert
- Cyber forensics investigator.
Related to Online Cybersecurity Master's Degree Program
- Recently Updated
An online master's degree program in photography helps students learn to take pictures that are aesthetically pleasing and...
Students interested in the study of public and private transportation systems, and their development and maintenance, can...
Through an online master's degree program in film, students learn how to direct, shoot and edit short and feature length...
Earning a degree in music performance requires the personal instruction found in a traditional college program. However, one...
- Online Aviation Masters Degree Program Overview
- Online Illustration Masters Degree Program Information
- Online Masters Degree in Mediation: Program Overview
- Associate in Architectural and Civil Engineering: Degree Overview
- Masters Degree in Child Development: Program Overview
- What You Can Do With Communication Arts Training: Career Options
- Bachelor of E-Business: Degree Overview