Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Applied Economics
- Development Economics
- International Economics
Online Courses in Health Economics
Below are some commonly offered online courses in health economics:
- Health Economics Principles: Students study how people make health care decisions by examining areas like health insurance, costs, health regulations and politics. The course may also cover how institutions can affect the decisions people make.
- Health Economics Analysis Course: This course prepares students to evaluate the relationships between health care resources, consumers and providers. Students learn to make predictions and recommendations related to costs and outcomes.
- Health Informatics Course: This statistics-based course focuses on the collection, storage and presentation of health care data. Students learn how to use this data for making decisions regarding health policies.
- Health Care Business Economics Course: Students who enroll in this course learn how to apply finance, economics, business and health care informatics principles in order to analyze or create care delivery models for health care systems.
- Public Health Economics Course: In this course, students study private and social welfare in health care and learn to apply economic tools to public policy. Courses may also teach them to understand how the private sector influences health policy and how the government can impact public health.
- Managing Health Care in the New Economic Environment Course: This course examines recent developments in the industry and prepares students to deal with a number of issues surrounding medical professionals, insurance providers and consumers. Ethical problems and possible future impacts are also discussed.
- Introduction to U.S. Healthcare System Course: In this course, students will explore the private and public sectors of the U.S. healthcare system. Various topics include how healthcare is provided to consumers, competition in the marketplace via insurance companies and how hospitals, doctors and pharmaceutical companies deal with healthcare regulations.
- Global Health in the Developing World Course: In this course, students will analyze some of the world's major health issues. Topics include how these problems are tracked and the responsibilities of industrialized countries with regard to creating a healthier society of a global scale.
Students seeking online training in health economics can enroll in undergraduate and graduate certificates and master's programs in health economics, health administration or public health. These programs often include several courses related to health economics and can be found in fully online and partially online formats. Learners looking for stand-alone course options related to health economics can also find some continuing education and non-credit courses available from universities and public health organizations, some of which are offered free of charge. Possible topics include how health care policies of hospitals and other organizations impact health care economics, how health services operate within the health care market, and studies in health insurance.
Online health economics courses are available via undergraduate and graduate certificates, master's degrees and individual courses. Areas of study include the U.S. healthcare systems, global health in the developing world and economic principles in the healthcare industry.