Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Counseling and Guidance
- Curriculum and Instruction
- Educational Administration and Supervision
- Educational Evaluation and Research
- ESL Teaching
- International and Comparative Education
- Library Science and Related Professions
- Philosophical Foundations of Education
- Special Education
- Teacher Education for Specific Levels and Methods
- Teacher Education for Specific Subject Areas
- Teaching Assistant
Online Courses in Humanities and General Education
The overviews below represent some popular online humanities and general education course offerings.
- Introduction to Humanities Course: An introduction to humanities course gives students an overview of some of the greatest cultural achievements of man. The course lays a foundation of understanding of how societies express ideas through art, literature, philosophy, architecture and more.
- Myth and Culture Course: A typical course focusing on myth and culture focuses on how different societies have utilized myth as a way to explain and understand basic universal ideas. Myth and culture classes may also incorporate ideas of religion.
- World Religions Course: Much like the myth and culture class, a world religions class focuses on how man has used religion to explain his place in the universe since the beginning of time. Students in a world religions class learn the basic elements that go into the most popular religions around the globe, including historical development and basic doctrines.
- Contemporary Moral Issues Course: Students investigate and analyze moral issues, such as the death penalty, sexual assault or abortion. This course provides students with a forum for discussing controversial issues, offering them with an opportunity to discover how they feel about these subjects and allowing them to come up with reasonable arguments to defend why they feel the way they do.
- Astronomy Course: A common general education course offered at most universities either on-campus or online is astronomy, which allows students to study the positions and movements of the stars and planets.
- General Chemistry Course: Another general education course is general chemistry, which provides students with the basic formulas and equations necessary to understand common types of chemical reactions.
- American History Course: History is a very common general education topic and can be taken in many fields. One of the more popular forms of an online history course is American history, which teaches students about the events that influenced the political, social, industrial and economic makeup of the United States.
- Business Administration Course: Students who are interested in general education courses focusing on business can choose basic business administration classes that cover statistics, operations, macroeconomics and basic business theory.
- Oral Communication Course: Online general education courses focusing on communication provide students with an understanding of mass communication, interpersonal communication, group and organizational communication, and professional writing for a career in communication. An oral communication class allows students to perfect their understanding of speech.
- Global Society Course: This course teaches students to examine global issues, increases global awareness and educates them about how to make and maintain not only local but national and global interpersonal relationships. It is an interdisciplinary look at the world as it relates to an individual.
- History of Western Civilization Course: This course examines the societies that existed from prehistory up until the Middle Ages. Students analyze how those societies began, developed, thrived and fell.
- Introduction to Philosophy Course: The schools of thought used to study and interpret the universe are discussed in this online course. Additional topics include human nature, freedom and individual perception.
Online courses in humanities and general education are commonly offered as part of certificate, graduate certificate, associate's, bachelor's and master's degree programs in several fields. Students may elect to take individual online humanities and general education courses to round out an academic program and/or fulfill general education requirements necessary for graduation. Online general education courses, sometimes referred to as interdisciplinary courses, are required in most undergraduate degree programs. The courses provide students with the opportunity to design their own type of undergraduate learning experience by picking and choosing which general education subjects are of most interest to them. Topics range from mathematics to history to science. Many online courses in general education and humanities are also available for free.
Humanities and general education courses are offered online via undergraduate and graduate certificate and degree programs. Study topics include world religions, philosophy, the history of western civilization and much more.