Online Pathology Course and Class Descriptions
Online pathology courses that prepare individuals to enter medical school or for a variety of health industry careers are available at a number of universities. Students learn basic scientific methods and gain pathology skills.
Pathology courses are offered as part of online graduate certificate programs in clinical pathology for people working in the medical industry who need to update their knowledge, such as nurses, medical laboratory personnel and those working in the pharmaceutical industry. Some lab-based courses require students to attend on-campus sessions.
There are several specific areas of pathology that students can pursue online. Anatomical pathology is based on disease analysis and diagnosis through examination of body organs, tissues and internal body parts. Students learn to use anatomical pathology when conducting autopsies and studying disease and infection. Within anatomical pathology, there are several areas of concentration, including forensic pathology and surgical pathology.
Clinical pathology courses train students to use scientific analysis to determine the causes and results of disease. Students use principles of biology, hematology and biochemistry to research diseases.
Online Courses Related to Pathology
The following descriptions are examples of commonly available online pathology classes.
- Anatomy and Physiology: This course focuses on various organ systems and their functions. Cellular function and metabolism is covered. Some programs allow students to complete online labs.
- Pathological Processes: Classes in pathological processes prepare students for pathology careers by teaching the basic duties and skills required of pathologists. These skills include conducting research, analyzing biological and anatomical evidence, preparing laboratory and medical reports and collecting specimens.
- Pathophysiology and Human Development: This course examines diseases in relation to the healthy body and the pathophysiological processes that occur when disease is present. Students learn about defensive, compensating and adaptive responses to the presence of disease by various body systems.
- Laboratory Management: Online laboratory management courses teach students how to maintain an effective medical laboratory. Although students cannot actually use a laboratory in person, online courses detail the processes and duties involved with laboratory management, which include the maintenance of lab supplies and equipment, regulation and safety policies, use of computers to record data and proper use of medical instruments.
- Infectious Disease: Students learn about major infectious organisms and the way in which they affect the body. Emphasis is on significant episodes of emergent infections and the current technology in the diagnosis and treatment of these diseases.
- Health Data Analysis: This course explores inferential and descriptive statistical methods as related to health care data analysis including formulating hypotheses, utilizing the Statistical Package for the Social Sciences, or SPSS, and understanding the results of the statistical findings.