Online Psy.D. Programs, Schools and Coursework Overview
Several schools offer online Doctor of Psychology (Psy.D.) programs with varying specializations. Read on for an overview of coursework common to a Psy.D. program, and explore some distance learning options in the field.
Overview of Schools and Psy.D. Programs
University of the Rockies
Located in Colorado Springs, Colorado, University of the Rockies doesn't offer a traditional clinical psychology program. Instead, it offers specializations such as business psychology, educational leadership and non-profit management. Students must log in at least twice a week for each online class, and three courses require weekend on-campus attendance. Two examples of the 14 specializations offered are discussed below.
Psy.D. Specialization in International Leadership
Students of this program learn human performance psychology in relation to leadership of worldwide organizations. They are trained in assessment not only of individuals, but also of organizational and team behavior. Instruction includes methods for consulting with this leadership regarding ways for the organization to improve performance and integration.
Some of the courses in this 62- to 68-credit program are:
- Organizational processes and leadership
- Personality assessment of organizational leadership
- Organizational issues of international businesses
- Business practices of global regions
- Strategies for leading international businesses
Psy.D. Specialization in Sports and Performance Psychology
A sports and performance psychologist's job is to foster self-mastery and top performance by sports teams and their individual members. Students in this specialty develop acumen in making people more effective athletes and performers. Graduates are prepared to work not only in sports programs, but also in educational and research situations.
- Improved performance and body-mind practices
- Kinesiology and psychomotor development
- Sports and performance rehabilitation
- Sports and performance group dynamics
- Psychology of paramount performance
- Address: 555 East Pikes Peak Ave., Colorado Springs, CO 80903
- Phone Number: College - (877) 442-0505, Online Department - (866) 621-0124
California Southern University
Not to be confused with the University of Southern California, California Southern University (CalSouthern) is a private college that offers only online programs. Founded in 1978, CalSouthern offers undergraduate and graduate degrees in liberal arts, business and psychology. CalSouthern is accredited by the Accrediting Commission of the Distance Education and Training Council.
Doctor of Psychology (Psy.D.)
This Psy.D. program trains students in a variety of psychotherapeutic techniques for treating individuals, couples and families. According to the Board of Psychology of the State of California, this online program meets the requirements for state licensure.
CalSouthern also requires students in the online Psy.D. program to participate in at least 24 hours of personal therapy, which is designed to provide self-awareness and insight into clinical psychology. Prior to practicum work, students must pass a comprehensive final exam, demonstrating proficiency in all coursework covered.
Required courses in the program include:
- Perceptions, feelings and motivation
- Personality theory
- Physiological causes of behaviors
- Psychological assessment
- Address: 1840 East 17th St., Suite 240, Santa Ana, CA 92705
- Phone Number: (800) 477-2254
Accredited by The Higher Learning Commission, Capella University offers primarily online degree programs. Formed in 1991, Capella offers 39 graduate and undergraduate programs in nearly 130 areas of study. Over 37,100 students attend Capella, which offers over 1,250 online classes.
Psy.D. Specialization in Clinical Psychology
Although Capella University offers primarily online programs, the online Psy.D. program requires some residency, as well as field practicum and internships. The final year of study is called the 'year-in-residence.'
During the summers at the beginning and end of that school year, 2-week residencies are required at the Minnesota headquarters. During the course of the school year, students must attend nine in-resident weekends. Practicum and internship hours are completed at locations arranged by the students.
Core courses included in the required 145 quarter credits are:
- Professional psychology orientation
- Biological psychology
- Cognitive/affective psychology
- Social psychology
- Multicultural contexts of behavior
- Address: Capella Tower, 225 S. 6th St., 9th Floor, Minneapolis, MN 55402
- Phone Number: USA - (888) 227-2736, International - (612) 339-8650
After completing coursework, Psy.D. students complete dissertation research. Students typically work under the supervision of an advisor and receive approval on the finalized focus of the dissertation. The goal of the dissertation project is to identify an issue in the field and offer an original way to address the issue. Students incorporate the knowledge they have acquired as well as field-specific research. In addition to writing a thorough paper on their subject, students are typically required to verbally defend their dissertation.
Graduates of online Doctor of Psychology (Psy.D.) programs are prepared to be clinical psychologists, but not always in the usual sense of a patient coming to an office for therapy. Many clinical psychologists work in or with a business or organization. Graduates with an online Psy.D. are prepared to conduct client interviews and perform psychological testing in order to devise a treatment plan.
Related to Online Psy D Programs
- Recently Updated
Many of the largest schools offering distance education opportunities are public schools, which are supported partly through...
We've reviewed the top schools that bring you the best quality in online MBA programs. Our editors evaluated schools according...
The United States has many reputable schools with online Ph.D. programs. These colleges and universities provide graduate...
Those with a mind for art and storytelling may be interested in pursuing online courses and programs in animation or...
- Online Schools with Transportation Programs: How to Choose
- Online Schools with Polysomnography Programs: How to Choose
- Common Online Associate of Arts & Sciences Degree Programs
- Insurance Coding: Diploma Summary
- Museum Studies Master's Degree Program Information
- Masters Degree in Computer Programming: Program Info
- Associate Degree in Medical Massage: Program Overview