With only a few public institutions, the majority of schools around Palm Springs, CA, are private colleges (both not-for-profit and for-profit) offering mostly undergraduate programs. Options for postgraduate studies are limited in the area. Get more detailed information on the area's non-specialty schools based on data from the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES).
Closest Schools to Palm Springs, California
If proximity to the city is one of your preferences in a school, you may check the following schools closest to the center of Palm Springs. These institutions award certificates and/or associate's degrees.
- Brightwood College-Palm Springs (located downtown)
- Mayfield College (6.2 miles from downtown)
- College of the Desert (14.3 miles from downtown)
- Milan Institute-Palm Desert (15.6 miles from downtown)
- Mt San Jacinto Community College District (20.9 miles from downtown)
Largest Schools Near Palm Springs, California
Based on the NCES data, the student population at the five largest schools near Palm Springs ranges between 10,000 and 22,000 as of fall 2015. The largest school, University of California-Riverside, is a public school offering bachelor's and graduate degrees; the four others are 2-year institutions.
- University of California-Riverside (21,385 students)
- Riverside City College (19,086 students)
- Mt San Jacinto Community College District (15,010 students)
- San Bernardino Valley College (13,136 students)
- College of the Desert (10,466 students)
Lowest Net Price
The NCES calculates the net price of attending a school by deducting the average financial aid package from the total cost of attendance incurred by full-time, undergraduate students paying in-state tuition rates. If you have monetary concerns for your education, you may choose from the following schools with low net prices in 2014-2015.
- Mt San Jacinto Community College District ($6,620)
- San Bernardino Valley College ($8,310)
- Riverside City College ($8,395)
- Moreno Valley College ($8,696)
- Copper Mountain Community College ($9,174)
Highest Graduation Rate
Graduation rates are useful indicators of the quality of education in schools. The NCES reports the overall graduation rate for each school as the percentage of full-time, undergraduate students who finish their course of study in 150% of the time normally required. Schools with the highest graduation rates in 2014-2015 include the following:
- Mayfield College (95% graduation rate)
- Brightwood College-Riverside (83% graduation rate)
- Brightwood College-Palm Springs (81% graduation rate)
- Coast Career Institute (74% graduation rate)
- InterCoast Colleges-Riverside (74% graduation rate)
A school's location, size, tuition and graduation rate are essential information that you should consider in choosing a college or university in or near Palm Springs, CA.