Pharmacist Assistant School and College Program Overviews
Learn about requisite education for pharmacy assistants or technicians. Read on to discover examples of coursework in pharmacy assistant certificate programs, as well as reviewing employment outlook and salary information.
Pharmacist assistant or technician certificate programs can prepare you to work in a pharmacy at a medical clinic, hospital, nursing home or retail store. Through a pharmacy assistant certificate program, you could gain an understanding of medical terminology and pharmacology and learn to perform the basic tasks of a pharmacy technician, including measuring, labeling and dispensing medications. You might learn to interact with patients and build your bookkeeping, administrative, math and organizational skills. Certification is available - and sometimes required - for pharmacy technicians.
Pharmacy assistant programs usually include a mix of classroom and laboratory learning, as well as one or more practicums. Specific areas of study might include:
- Anatomy and physiology
- Pharmacist technology
- Basic mathematics
- Pharmacy record keeping
- Introduction to computers
- Pharmaceutical calculations
- Medical terminology
Employment Outlook and Salary
Employment of pharmacy technicians was forecast to grow 32% between 2010 and 2020, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (www.bls.gov). This was much faster than average. An increasing number of aging baby boomers needing prescription medication was expected to keep pharmacy techs in high demand. As of May 2012, pharmacy technicians earned a median hourly wage of $14.10.
Most states have education requirements for pharmacy technicians and require that they pass a criminal background check. Some states and employers also mandate certification through the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board or the National Healthcareer Association. Even if not required, certification could prove beneficial since it can make it easier to find a job as a pharmacy tech.
Related to Pharmacist Assistant Schooling
- Recently Updated
Assistant pharmacists require little formal education. Learn about the education, job duties, salary and job growth predictions...
Find out what a clinical pharmacist assistant does. Learn about the required training and skills, in addition to the salary...
Pharmacists are more than just drug dispensers - they're licensed healthcare professionals dedicated to improving patient...
Learn about the education and preparation needed to become a nuclear pharmacist. Get a quick view of the requirements as well...
- Online Schools to Become a Pharmacist: How to Choose
- Online Pharmacist Degrees: Program Information
- Retail Pharmacist: Employment Info & Requirements
- Patient Care Aide: Job Description, Salary and Career Info
- Types of Office Careers: Overview Duties, Requirements and Salaries
- Salary and Career Info for a Masters in Health Informatics
- Dental Manager Certificate Programs
- Pharmacist Aide: Employment & Career Info
- Certified Pharmacist Technician: Career Information & Requirements
- Protective Service Worker: Job Description and Education Requirements
- Ultrasound Radiology Careers: Job Option and Requirements
- Jobs and Degrees to Help Abused Animals: Options and Requirements