Physical Therapy Schools in Colorado Springs with Degree Info
Research physical therapy courses in the Colorado Springs area, which currently has two nearby universities offering relevant programs within 45 miles of the city's center. Read an overview of the program options and requirements at these schools to decide which one is right for you.
Colorado Springs Physical Therapy Programs
Students interested in pursuing physical therapy careers have a couple of undergraduate programs to choose from in the Colorado Springs area. This article covers the coursework available at two institutions and it also includes a table of other pertinent information about the schools, including costs and acceptance rates. For those looking for Doctor of Physical Therapy (DPT) or other related education programs, be sure to check out the details on a few other school options in the area.
- Located roughly six miles from downtown, the University of Colorado - Colorado Springs offers a pre-physical therapy program to students seeking admission to the DPT program at the University of Colorado - Denver.
- Colorado State University - Pueblo, on the other hand, offers a pre-physical therapy program that can be used to meet admissions requirements for either of the two schools in Colorado offering DPT programs: the University of Colorado - Denver and Regis University. The campus is about 44 miles from central Colorado Springs.
University of Colorado - Colorado Springs
Students enrolled in the university's pre-physical therapy program are encouraged to choose a major that will allow them to receive a bachelor's degree from the College of Letters, Arts and Sciences. In addition to physical therapy, this college offers pre-professional programs in areas like medicine and dentistry.
Pre-Physical Therapy Program
The pre-physical therapy program at the University of Colorado - Colorado Springs isn't a major or minor. It's a course of study covering topics in anatomy, physiology, math, psychology, biology, chemistry and physics. Since this program fulfills academic prerequisites for the University of Colorado - Denver's DPT program, students who want to pursue a physical therapy degree at other schools should research their admission requirements and design course schedules accordingly. Completion of the pre-physical therapy curriculum doesn't guarantee admission to any DPT program.
Colorado State University - Pueblo
The pre-physical therapy program at Colorado State University - Pueblo is offered through the school's Biology Department. Class sizes are small, offering students opportunities for more hands-on experience and individual attention.
Pre-Physical Therapy Program
The university reports that curriculum for its Bachelor of Science in Biology provides a strong background for a career in the healthcare field. However, students in the pre-physical therapy program can choose another major if desired. In addition to required courses in genetics, physiology, chemistry and calculus, the school recommends taking electives in such subjects as biochemistry, kinesiology, exercise physiology and motor learning. Students who plan to apply to the University of Colorado - Denver's DPT program must also complete the vertebrate physiology course and its accompanying lab. Regis University requires an additional statistics course.
Comparison of Schools
Compare the profiled universities in a variety of areas to help you decide which one best fits your educational goals. This table offers facts and figures on school setting, tuition, graduation rates and more.
|University of Colorado - Colorado Springs||Colorado State University - Pueblo|
|School Type||4-year, public||4-year, public|
|Total Enrollment (2011)||10,183*||7,174*|
|Campus Setting||Large city||Midsize city|
|Tuition and Fees (2011-2012)||$6,512 in-state; $17,376 out-of-state*||$6,270 in-state; $12,970 out-of-state*|
|% of First-Year Students Receiving Some Form of Financial Aid (2010-2011)||75%*||95%*|
|Acceptance Rate (2011)||67%*||93%*|
|Retention Rate (2011)||71% for full-time students*||66% for full-time students*|
|Undergraduate Graduation Rate (2011)||41%*||32%*|
Source: *NCES College Navigator.
Located about 45 minutes from downtown Colorado Springs, Pueblo Community College offers an Associate of Applied Science program to aspiring physical therapist assistants. Students looking to transfer from a pre-physical therapy program to the University of Colorado - Denver or Regis University will find that both of these schools are located about an hour's drive from Colorado Springs.
Related to Physical Therapy Schools in Colorado Springs
- Recently Updated
Find out which top schools offer training in physical therapy, including the graduate program necessary to work as a physical...
Kinesiotherapy and physical therapy are similar fields; both deal with the treatment of patients who have suffered from a...
Physical therapy is a division of the health industry that specializes in the maximization of mobility. Physical therapists...
Undergraduate programs focusing specifically on physical therapy are rare because a master's or doctoral degree is required to...
- Physical Therapy Professions: Overview of the Required Qualifications
- Physical Therapy: Required Education to Be a Physical Therapist
- Associates Degree in Physical Therapy: Program Overviews
- Soil Technician: Job Description and Career Advancement Info
- A Victorian Fantasy: Study.com Speaks with the Organizer of the Albright College Victorian Fashion Ball
- Preparing Tomorrow's Leaders: Study.com Speaks with Veterans for Education
- Magazine Photographer: Job Duties, Salary and Outlook
- Online Physical Therapy Schools and Colleges: How to Choose
- Online Physical Therapy Certification Information
- Book Translator: Job Description, Duties and Requirements
- Best Non-Video Free Courses: Study.com's People's Choice Award Winner
- Water Treatment Plant Manager: Job Description and Requirements
Perfect School Search
- Colorado Cities
- Nearby States
- Arvada, CO Schools
- Aurora, CO Schools
- Broomfield, CO Schools
- Colorado Springs, CO Schools
- Denver, CO Schools
- Fort Collins, CO Schools
- Greeley, CO Schools
- Greenwood Village, CO Schools
- Lakewood, CO Schools
- Littleton, CO Schools
- Lone Tree, CO Schools
- Pueblo, CO Schools
- Thornton, CO Schools
- Westminster, CO Schools