Physician's Assistant Colleges and Universities in the U.S.

Physician's assistants (PAs) must hold bachelor's degrees, but master's degrees are becoming more commonly expected by employers. PAs take histories, order and interpret tests, provide treatment and other medical services under a physician's supervision.

Selecting a College with a Physician's Assistant Program

Physician's assistants support doctors in a variety of capacities, including surgery. Consider the practice opportunities offered by the setting and facilities of the college or university. You may be most interested in working in an advanced cancer care center, a hectic inner-city emergency room or a small rural outreach hospital, for example. Bachelor's degrees are most commonly required by employers. Some may require a master's degree.

Things to consider when choosing a program:

  • Physician's assistant degree programs should be accredited by the National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants, which also offers a certifying exam which is required for licensure in many states.
  • Consider the school's reputation and that of its faculty, especially in your area of interest.
  • Finally, look at class schedules and college costs, including extra lab fees and other expenses beyond tuition and books.

10 Schools with Physician's Assistant Programs

College or University Institution Type
University of Florida 4-year, Public
University of Wisconsin - Madison 4-year, Public
University of Washington - Seattle Campus 4-year, Public
University of Southern California 4-year, Private not-for-profit
Wayne State University 4-year, Public
University of Iowa 4-year, Public
Nova Southeastern University 4-year, Private not-for-profit
University of Utah 4-year, Public
East Carolina University 4-year, Public
Central Michigan University 4-year, Public

Search Degrees, Careers, or Schools