Pre-Veterinary Schools and Colleges in the U.S.
Pre-veterinary programs are designed to prepare students for veterinary school. Pre-veterinary courses can be completed alongside any major. In addition to taking coursework, students might want to consider gaining experience in veterinary medicine.
How to Select a Pre-Veterinary School
While pre-veterinary majors aren't available, students can select a related major and complete the prerequisites for veterinary school. Many colleges and universities offer a pre-veterinary curriculum.
Consider the following when looking for pre-veterinary schools:
- Students should check that a prospective school has a strong science department to ensure that they receive adequate preparation.
- Prospective students should look for a pre-veterinary school that offers the opportunity to complete an internship at a local veterinary clinic, animal shelter, zoo or farm.
- Students may also wish to look for research opportunities related to veterinary medicine.
- Students might want to consider certificate programs in areas closely related to veterinary medicine, such as animal health management, which are designed to supplement a bachelor's program.
Pre-Veterinary Program Overview
Pre-Veterinary Medicine Program
A pre-veterinary course of study includes science and math courses along with the general education requirements. It usually takes three years to complete the requirements and a student may apply to veterinary school as soon as the requirements are met, even if they have not yet completed a bachelor's degree. Upperclassmen may have the best chances at landing research and volunteer opportunities. The courses and labs commonly required by veterinary schools include:
- General and organic chemistry
10 Schools with Pre-Veterinary Programs
|North Dakota State University||4-year, Public|
|Hollins University||4-year, Private|
|Rutgers University||4-year, Public|
|Tufts University||4-year, Private|
|Washington University in St Louis||4-year, Private|
|Cornell University||4-year, Private|
|University of Wisconsin River Falls||4-year, Public|
|University of New Hampshire||4-year, Public|
|Mercy College||4-year, Private|
|Virginia Tech||4-year, Public|