BA in English Literature
Grand Canyon University's Bachelor of Arts in English Literature program is designed for undergraduates who are interested in studying texts and improving their communication skills. Learn more about Grand Canyon University's Bachelor of Arts in English Literature here.
Official Program Name:
Bachelor of Arts in English Literature
School Offering Program:
Grand Canyon University
The Bachelor of Arts in English Literature program is intended for those with a strong interest in English literary works.
Students enrolled in Grand Canyon University's Bachelor of Arts in English Literature program have the opportunity to explore English, American, and world literature. They also study different literary forms, including the novel, short story, and play. The program is designed to help students improve their communication skills and strengthen their understanding of grammar and linguistics. In addition to taking English literature courses for the major, students complete general education requirements. The program is designed to give students the fundamental knowledge needed to teach English at the secondary level; however, it does not qualify students for state teacher certification.
Financial Aid Available:
Federal financial aid, including loan, grants, and scholarships, is available to qualifying students. Students can find out about scholarships and other financial aid opportunities from a Grand Canyon University Enrollment Counselor.
Tuition, Financial Aid & Start Dates
Since every student is different, there isn't a "one size fits all" for school information. Start dates and tuition often vary between selected programs, and financial aid opportunities are unique to each student's circumstances. Complete the form to the right to get the most up-to-date and accurate information based on your selected program and circumstances.
Still Have Questions?
Complete this form to request more info and get your answers and advice.
Required Courses for a Bachelor of Arts in English Literature:
Program and course requirements are subject to change. Contact Grand Canyon University to confirm the most accurate information before enrolling in a program.
- PHI 305: Ethical Thinking in the Liberal Arts (4 credits)
- ENG 250: Analysis of World Literature (4 credits)
- ENG 260: English Literature I (4 credits)
- ENG 270: English Literature II (4 credits)
- ENG 350: American Literature I (4 credits)
- ENG 353: American Literature II (4 credits)
- ENG 356: The Short Story (4 credits)
- ENG 358: Introduction to English Grammar and Linguistics (4 credits)
- ENG 424: Literary Movement (4 credits)
- ENG 425: Major Author (4 credits)
- ENG 450: Shakespeare (4 credits)
- ENG 460: The Novel (4 credits)
- University Foundations (4 credits)
- Effective Communication (9-12 credits)
- Includes at least 3 credits in English grammar or composition
- Christian Worldview (4 credits)
- Critical Thinking (11-12 credits)
- Includes at least 3 credits in college-level mathematics
- Global Awareness, Perspectives, and Ethics (6-8 credits)
Furthering Your Education:
Graduates of Grand Canyon University's Bachelor of Arts in English Literature program could continue their education by pursuing a master's degree in English literature or a related area. They may use a master's degree program to prepare for careers in education.
Master's degrees that graduates could pursue include but are not limited to:
- Master of Arts in English Literature
- Master of Arts in Teaching - English Literature
- Master of Arts in Linguistics
After completing Grand Canyon University's Bachelor of Arts in English Literature program, graduates could pursue entry-level positions in various fields. Since the degree is not designed to prepare students for specific jobs, graduates could explore a new area of interest. However, most jobs that graduates are eligible for are in fields related to English and literature.
Entry-level positions that graduates could pursue include:
- Editorial assistant
- Publicity assistant
- Teacher's aide
Get your customized answers
Complete the form below to get program details, start dates, tuition, financial aid information, and much more!