BS in Secondary Education - English
Grand Canyon University's Bachelor of Science in Secondary Education with an Emphasis in English program is designed for students who want to teach English in middle or secondary schools. Read more about the Bachelor of Science in Secondary Education with an Emphasis in English program here.
Official Program Name:
Bachelor of Science in Secondary Education with an Emphasis in English
School Offering Program:
Grand Canyon University
Students who wish to apply to the Bachelor of Science in Secondary Education with an Emphasis in English program at Grand Canyon University should be interested in pursuing an English teaching career for grades 7-12.
The goal of Grand Canyon University's Bachelor of Science in Secondary Education with an Emphasis in English program is to prepare students to teach English to grades 7-12. Coursework that is specific to teaching English includes instruction in American literature, English literature, Shakespeare, English grammar and linguistics, adolescent literacy, and reading and learning strategies for middle and secondary school students. Students are also given opportunities to learn about educational psychology, managing and engaging students in a classroom, developing secondary curriculums, and teaching exceptional and culturally diverse students. Students will be able to practice and improve their skills through a 16-week experience in full-time student teaching.
Financial Aid Available:
Federal financial aid, including loan, grants, and scholarships, is available to qualifying students. Students can find out about scholarships and other financial aid opportunities from a Grand Canyon University Enrollment Counselor.
Tuition, Financial Aid & Start Dates
Since every student is different, there isn't a "one size fits all" for school information. Start dates and tuition often vary between selected programs, and financial aid opportunities are unique to each student's circumstances. to get the most up-to-date and accurate information based on your selected program and circumstances.
Still Have Questions?
Complete and get your answers and advice.
Required Courses for a Bachelor of Science in Secondary Education with an Emphasis in English:
Program and course requirements are subject to change. Contact Grand Canyon University to confirm the most accurate information before enrolling in a program.
Bachelor of Science in Secondary Education Major with an Emphasis in English
- EDU 310: Exploring Education as a Profession (4 credits)
- ENG 260: English Literature I (4 credits)
- ENG 350: American Literature I (4 credits)
- ENG 358 :Introduction to English Grammar and Linguistics (4 credits)
- ENG 450: Shakespeare (4 credits)
- EDU 215: Education Foundations and Framework (4 credits)
- EDU 230: Cultural Diversity in the Classroom (4 credits)
- ESL 223N: SEI English Language Teaching: Foundations and Methodologies (3 credits)
- EDU 313N: Educational Psychology (3 credits)
- EDU 225: Instructional Technology (4 credits)
- SED 444: Secondary Methods and Data Driven Pedagogy (4 credits)
- SPE 226: Educating the Exceptional Learner (4 credits)
- SED 435: Adolescent Literacy (4 credits)
- SED 454: Reading and Learning Strategies for Middle and Secondary Schools (4 credits)
- Elective: 200 level or above is required: ENG 415 is recommended. (4 credits)
- EDU 450: Classroom Engagement and Management (4 credits)
- SED 455: Secondary Curriculum Development and Assessment (4 credits)
- POS 301: Arizona and Federal Government (2 credits)
- SED 480NA: Student Teaching Session A (6 credits)
- SED 480NB: Student Teaching Session B (6 credits)
- University Foundations (4 credits)
- Effective Communication (9-12 credits)
- Includes at least 3 credits in English grammar or composition
- Christian Worldview (4 credits)
- Critical Thinking (11-12 credits)
- Includes at least 3 credits in college-level mathematics
- Global Awareness, Perspectives, and Ethics (6-8 credits)
Post Graduation Opportunities
Furthering Your Education:
Many secondary English teachers pursue certification, a graduate certificate, or a higher degree for the purpose of advancement in their career. In fact, some school districts make a master's degree a requirement for advancement. Other times the teacher may wish to get further education for a specialized topic such as writing. Potential certifications include the English as a New Language/Early Adolescence through Young Adulthood Certification and the English Language Arts/Adolescence and Young Adulthood Certification.
Graduate certificates and master's degrees the secondary English teacher might wish to consider include:
- Graduate Certificate in Teaching Secondary Education (9-12) English
- Secondary Education Licensure Graduate Certificate
- Master of Education with English Specialization
- Master of Arts in Teaching Comprehensive English
- Master of Arts in Secondary Education in English
The primary career path for a graduate of Grand Canyon University's Bachelor of Science in Secondary Education with an Emphasis in English program is that of an English teacher in a public or private middle or secondary school. With certification or work experience, students may be able to explore other career opportunities.
Positions that graduates could pursue include:
- Secondary English teacher
- English tutor
- Reading instructor
- Education administrator