AAS in Information Technology
Kaplan University's Associate of Applied Science in Information Technology program offers students the chance to study website development, computer programming, networking, and technology fundamentals. Learn more about the AAS in Information Technology program here.
Official Program Name:
Associate of Applied Science in Information Technology
School Offering Program:
Associate of Applied Science
The Associate of Applied Science in Information Technology program is designed to allow students the chance to develop general education knowledge, technical skills, applied knowledge, and communications skills. The AAS degree program aims to help students prepare for entry-level careers in the information technology field. General education courses give students the opportunity to develop quantitative reasoning, research, critical thinking, and communications skills. Major coursework could teach students to evaluate, design, and implement computer systems, understand information technology's impact on business, and understand technology trends. Students in the Associate of Applied Science in Information Technology degree program could choose to specialize in an emphasis area, such as network administration, application development, help desk administration, or web development.
Program Length/Total Credits Required:
90 credits. Kaplan University defines an academic year as the time in which a full-time student is expected to complete three terms of instructional time. Full-time students are expected to complete at least 36 credit hours within the academic year.
Financial Aid Available:
Financial aid is available for those who qualify. Aid opportunities include military aid and federal, state, and private lending programs.
Required Courses for an Associate of Applied Science in Information Technology:
Degree program and course requirements are subject to change. Contact Kaplan University to confirm the most accurate information before enrolling in a program.
- CM 241: Foundations of Technical Communication (2 credits)
- IT 117: Introduction to Website Development (5 credits)
- IT 133: Software Applications (5 credits)
- IT 190: Foundations in Information Technology (5 credits)
- IT 234: Database Foundations (5 credits)
- IT 261: Desktop Administration (5 credits)
- IT 273: Networking Concepts (5 credits)
- AB 140: Introduction to Management (5 credits)
- IT 299: Associate's Capstone in Information Technology (5 credits)
- Choose one of the following (5 credits):
- IT 111: Programming Fundamentals for Beginning
- IT 193: Foundations of Programming Using Visual Basic
Core and Elective Requirements
- CM 107: College Composition I (5 credits)
- CM 220: College Composition II (5 credits)
- CS 204: Professional Presence (3 credits)
- MM 212: College Algebra (5 credits)
- Open Electives (25 credits)
Furthering Your Education:
Students who complete the AAS in Information Technology program at Kaplan University could choose to pursue a bachelor's degree program. A bachelor's degree could improve students' competitiveness in the job market or increase their employment responsibilities.
Graduates of the AAS in Information Technology program could be interested in bachelor's programs in various fields, including in:
- Bachelor of Science in Information Technology
Students earning the AAS in Information Technology degree could study to gain knowledge in a number of areas, including network administration, Web page design, and software programming. These skills could prepare students to pursue employment in a variety of positions in information technology or related fields.
Graduates of this program could pursue positions that include:
- Network analyst
- Database programmer
- Software architect
- Web developer
Tuition, Financial Aid & Start Dates
Since every student is different, there isn't a "one size fits all" for school information. Start dates and tuition often vary between selected programs, and financial aid opportunities are unique to each student's circumstances. to get the most up-to-date and accurate information based on your selected program and circumstances.
Still have questions?
Complete and get your answers and advice.