MS in Homeland Security and Emergency Management
Kaplan University's Master of Science in Homeland Security and Emergency Management offers aspiring leaders in the area of crisis management and homeland security a diverse education designed to help prepare them for related responsibilities. Learn more about Kaplan University's Master of Science in Homeland Security and Emergency Management here.
Official Program Name:
Master of Science in Homeland Security and Emergency Management
School Offering Program:
Master of Science
Kaplan University's online Master of Science in Homeland Security and Emergency Management program is designed to introduce students to various factors affecting emergency and security responses, planning, and management. Program coursework addresses security and emergency management procedures and policies, leadership techniques in public and private sectors, criminal justice systems, and research methods. Additional courses cover crisis planning and operations, emergency preparedness, collaborative efforts, and crisis intervention. Topics of discussion include managing emergency response organizations, the Department of Homeland Security development and structure, risk management, and disaster recovery. Students seeking admission to the program should hold a bachelor's degree from an accredited school and have taken fundamental courses in criminal justice.
Program Length/Total Credits Required:
55 credits. Kaplan University defines an academic year as the time in which a full-time student is expected to complete 24 credit hours in 30 weeks.
Financial Aid Available:
Financial aid is available for those who qualify. Aid opportunities include military aid and federal, state, and private lending programs.
Tuition, Financial Aid & Start Dates
Since every student is different, there isn't a "one size fits all" for school information. Start dates and tuition often vary between selected programs, and financial aid opportunities are unique to each student's circumstances. Complete the form to the right to get the most up-to-date and accurate information based on your selected program and circumstances.
Still Have Questions?
Complete this form to request more info and get your answers and advice.
Required Courses for the Master of Science in Homeland Security and Emergency Management:
Degree program and course requirements are subject to change. Contact Kaplan University to confirm the most accurate information before enrolling in a program.
- CJ 550: Introduction to Graduate Studies in Public Safety (5 credits)
- CJ 502: Research Methodology (5 credits)
- CJ 509: Comparative Criminal Justice Systems (5 credits)
- CJ 526: Academic and Professional Communications in Public Safety (5 credits)
- HM 500: Crisis and Emergency Management Fundamentals (5 credits)
- HM 501: Homeland Security Policies, Principles, Procedures, and Plans (5 credits)
- PP 510: Leadership in the Public Sector (5 credits)
- HM 598: Applied Research Project Capstone (5 credits)
- Select one course:
- CJ 510: Specialized Criminal Statutes and Complex Investigations (5 credits)
- CJ 513: Critical Issues in Terrorism (5 credits)
- PP 500: Public Administration and Management (5 credits)
- PP 520: Finance and the Administration of Public Funds (5 credits)
- Select two courses:
- HM 502: Risk, Vulnerability, and Capability Assessment Methods (5 credits)
- HM 503: Planning and Operations in Crisis and Emergency Management (5 credits)
- HM 505: Planning for WMD and Mass Casualty Crises (5 credits)
- HM 510: Mitigation and Preparedness Issues for Emergency Management (5 credits)
- HM 540: Crisis Intervention (5 credits)
- PP 612: Program Evaluation (5 credits)
Graduates of Kaplan University's Master of Science in Homeland Security and Emergency Management program could pursue management positions in emergency response organizations, government agencies, corporate security departments, or private security firms. * Graduates could work on a local, state, or federal level, and could apply relevant management, communication, and strategic planning skills.
Positions graduates could pursue include:
- Homeland security officer
- Law enforcement official
- Corporate security director
- Emergency management director
Get your customized answers
Complete the form below to get program details, start dates, tuition, financial aid information, and much more!