PhD in Education - Early Childhood Education
The Ph.D. in Education with a specialization in Early Childhood Education curriculum is designed for individuals who seek to develop their theoretical knowledge of preschool through third grade instructional methods and assessment practices. Learn more about this Northcentral University research-focused program here.
Official Program Name:
Ph.D. in Education with a specialization in Early Childhood Education
School Offering Program:
Individuals who might be interested in this program may be existing educators or school administrators. Previous courses in human growth and development, exceptional needs education, cultural diversity, or business communications could prove beneficial. Applicants to Northcentral University's online graduate programs should already possess a bachelor's degree; some programs may have additional requirements.
Students enrolled in this Northcentral University program have the opportunity to gain an understanding of how young children learn and mature. In the same respect, they also have the chance to ascertain techniques for implementing age-appropriate lesson plans. One of the focuses of the program is to underscore methods for developing early literacy and language acquisition skills. The program is designed to explore methods for evaluating children's learning patterns and cognitive development. It is also intended to explore administrative practices in early childhood education, not limited to budget planning and adherence, faculty evaluation, and regulatory compliance.
Program Length/Total Credits Required:
Students must complete at least 60 credit hours to earn a Ph.D. degree. If the program is not completed in 75 credit hours, the student will be dismissed from the program.
Financial Aid Available:
Financial aid is available to qualifying students. Graduate students may apply for Federal Stafford Loan or the Federal Graduate PLUS Loan. Military personnel and veterans may qualify for special assistance or tuition reduction.
Tuition, Financial Aid & Start Dates
Since every student is different, there isn't a "one size fits all" for school information. Start dates and tuition often vary between selected programs, and financial aid opportunities are unique to each student's circumstances. Complete the form to the right to get the most up-to-date and accurate information based on your selected program and circumstances.
Still Have Questions?
Complete this form to request more info and get your answers and advice.
Required Courses for a Ph.D. in Education with a Specialization in Early Childhood Education:
Program and course requirements are subject to change. Contact Northcentral University to confirm the most accurate information before enrolling in a program.
Foundation Requirements (6 credits)
- EDU 7000: Educational Research Strategies (3 credits)
- EDU 7001: Advanced Scholarly Writing (3 credits)
Early Childhood Education Requirements (18 credits)
- Students select six courses from the following list:
- ECE 7001: Topics in Early Childhood Education (3 credits)
- ECE 7002: Topics in Early Childhood Growth, Development, and Educational Programs (3 credits)
- ECE 7003: Topics in Early Childhood Program Administration (3 credits)
- ECE 7005: Early Childhood Curriculum and Assessment (3 credits)
- ECE 7007: Early Childhood Literacy and Literature (3 credits)
- ECE 7009: Families, Communities, and Schools as Partners in Early Childhood Education (3 credits)
- CT 7004: Language and Literacy Education (3 credits)
- CT 7005: Literacy - Focus on Curriculum (3 credits)
Research and Statistics Requirements
- EDU 7002: Educational Research Methodology (3 credits)
- EDU 7020: Statistics in Educational Research (3 credits)
- EDU 7703:Qualitative Methods (3 credits)
- EDU 7070: Advanced Statistical Methods (3 credits)
- EDU 7704: Quantitative Methods (3 credits)
- EDU 7701: Research Topic, Problem, Purpose, and Questions (3 credits)
- EDU 7702: Research Design (3 credits)
Comprehensive Examination Requirements (3 credits)
- CMP 9500E: Doctoral Comprehensive Examination (3 credits)
Dissertation Requirements (minimum of 12 credits)
- DIS 9501E: Doctoral Dissertation (3 credits)
- DIS 9502E: Doctoral Dissertation (3 credits)
- DIS 9503E: Doctoral Dissertation (3 credits)
- DIS 9504E: Doctoral Dissertation (3 credits)
Post Graduation Opportunities
Existing instructional professionals who earn a Ph.D. in Education with a specialization in Early Childhood Education degree could be able to undertake added responsibilities within their current school or district. Opportunities could be sought with children's book publishers, colleges, universities, private schools, charter schools, or public educational institutions. Professionals in this field could undertake tasks specific to teaching, instructional tools creation, learning assessment, or applied research.
Job opportunities that could be sought with this Northcentral University degree might include:
- Elementary school administrator
- Early childhood curriculum developer
- Educational researcher
Get your customized answers
Complete the form below to get program details, start dates, tuition, financial aid information, and much more!