PhD in Psychology - General Psychology
The Doctor of Philosophy in Psychology with a specialization in General Psychology program allows students to choose from a variety of electives to create their program. Learn more about this degree program here.
Official Program Name:
Doctor of Philosophy in Psychology with a specialization in General Psychology
School Offering Program:
Students must already hold a master's degree from a regionally accredited university. Previous academic work in psychology may be helpful. Applicants to Northcentral University's online graduate programs should already possess a bachelor's degree.
This program is designed to give students the opportunity to learn how to access, evaluate, and prepare scholarly materials. Students also may learn to evaluate, interpret, and integrate knowledge within a psychological context. The curriculum focuses on research methods and strategies. Ethical principles of research are covered as well. Students are directed to create a personal plan for engagement with social, civic, and global issues that relate to the field. The general psychology specialization allows students to choose from a wide variety of electives to fit their personal and professional goals.
Total Credits Required:
Minimum of 60 credit hours
Financial Aid Available:
Financial aid is available to qualifying students. Graduate students may apply for Federal Stafford Loan or the Federal Graduate PLUS Loan. Military personnel and veterans may qualify for special assistance or tuition reduction.
Tuition, Financial Aid & Start Dates
Since every student is different, there isn't a "one size fits all" for school information. Start dates and tuition often vary between selected programs, and financial aid opportunities are unique to each student's circumstances. to get the most up-to-date and accurate information based on your selected program and circumstances.
Still Have Questions?
Complete and get your answers and advice.
Required Courses for a Doctor of Philosophy in Psychology with a Specialization in General Psychology
Program and course requirements are subject to change. Contact Northcentral University to confirm the most accurate information before enrolling in a program.
General Psychology Requirements
- PSY 7101: Foundations for Doctoral Study in Psychology
- PSY 7102: Scholarly Writing and Professional Communication in Psychology
- PSY 8100: Theories of Personality
- PSY 7103: Research Methods
- PSY 8101: Multicultural Psychology
- PSY 7104: Statistics I
- PSY 8103: Cognition, Emotion, and Motivatioon
- PSY 7105: Test and Measurements
- PSY 8104: Positive Psychology
- PSY 7106: Quantitative Research Design
- PSY 8105: Community Psychology
- PSY 7107: Statistics II
- PSY 8106: Human Communication: Interviewing Skills
- PSY 7108: Qualitative Research Design
- PSY 7109: Planning Dissertation Research in Psychology
- CMP 9500P: Comprehensive Exam
- DIS 9501P: Dissertation Research
- DIS 9502P: Dissertation Research
- DIS 9503P: Dissertation Research
- DIS 9504P: Dissertation Research
Post Graduation Opportunities
Students in the Doctor of Philosophy in Psychology with a specialization in General Psychology program have the opportunity to develop a variety of skills, which may vary with the courses they select. Students may develop an understanding of research methodologies and ethical principles. Possible positions graduates could pursue include:
- Psychology researcher
- Community psychologist
- Research interviewer