Online Accelerated Teacher Certificate
The Online Accelerated Teacher Certification (OATCERT) program from Saint Joseph's University is designed for individuals who have a bachelor's degree in a secondary school subject area, such as biology, chemistry, history, mathematics, or English. Continue reading for more about this convenient professional program that is designed to prepare students for instructional positions in grades 7-12.
Official Program Name:
Online Accelerated Teacher Certification
School Offering Program:
Saint Joseph's University
Though not required, individuals who are interested in this program may have experience working as substitute teachers or teacher's assistants. Previous courses in child development, adolescent psychology, organizational behavior, management, or computers could prove helpful. Applicants to Saint Joseph's University's program should have earned at least a bachelor's degree in English, math, science, history or social studies; some programs may have additional requirements.
Individuals who enroll in the Online Accelerated Teacher Certification program have the opportunity to examine methods for motivating pupil learning and managing student behavior. Courses are intended to cover education laws, professional ethics, and instructional trends. In addition, students have the chance to learn to engage a multitude of unique students, including those with exceptional needs and culturally diverse backgrounds. The coursework portion of the program can be completed in as few as four semesters. This certificate series also incorporates a full-time teaching experience, which is designed to last one semester. Completion of this program is designed to lead to initial teaching certificate in Pennsylvania; credentials earned may also be accepted in more than 30 states across the country.
Total Credits Required:
Financial assistance may be available in the form of student loans or grants. Active military, reservists and spouses of these military personnel may be eligible for tuition discounts for online degrees and graduate level certificate programs. Contact Saint Joseph's University to learn more.
Tuition, Financial Aid & Start Dates
Since every student is different, there isn't a "one size fits all" for school information. Start dates and tuition often vary between selected programs, and financial aid opportunities are unique to each student's circumstances. Complete the form to the right to get the most up-to-date and accurate information based on your selected program and circumstances.
Still Have Questions?
Complete this form to request more info and get your answers and advice.
Required Courses for an Online Accelerated Teacher Certification (OATCERT):
Program and course requirements are subject to change. Contact Saint Joseph's University to confirm the most accurate information before enrolling in a program.
- EDU 550 / 550F: Historical and Contemporary Perspectives in Education (3 credit | 15 hours of observations)
- EDU 557 / 557F: Adolescent Psychology (3 credits | 15 hours of observation)
- SPE 550 / 550F: Foundations in Special Education (3 credits | 15 hours of observation)
- EDU 646 / 646F: Language and Culture (3 credits | 15 hours of observation)
- SPE 602 / SPE 602F: Diagnostic Assessment and Progress Monitoring (3 credits | 15 hours of observation)
- EDU 647 / 647F: Literacy and Learning Across the Curriculum (3 credits | 15 hours of observation)
- EDU 625 / 625F: Theory & Practice in Secondary Education (3 credits | 30 hours of observation)
- In order to qualify for aid in this semester, the student would have to take a MS Elective course.
- EDU 697: Secondary Teaching in Inclusive Environments (6 credits | 15 weeks of student teaching)
- All certificate and content coursework must be completed prior to EDU 697, the student teaching capstone experience, EDU 625 cannot be taken during the capstone experience.
- The first 2 weeks of student teaching will fulfill 70 hours of required field work.
Furthering Your Education:
After finishing this series, program participants may decide they'd like to continue their education. This could lead them to pursue an advanced degree, which could deepen their knowledge and skills in the field. By completing a few more classes, individuals who have completed the Online Accelerated Teacher Certification program could be able to earn the Master of Science in Secondary Education from Saint Joseph's University.
Other Master's degrees that could be sought include, but are not limited to:
- Master of Science in Educational Leadership
- Master of Science in Educational Technology
- Master of Science in Special Education
For students who complete this Saint Joseph's University program, opportunities could be sought with public schools, private schools, or community education organizations. Individuals working in this field might be responsible for collaborating with parents and other instructional professionals, creating lesson plans, and assessing student achievement.
Those who have earned an Online Accelerated Teacher Certification could be able to seek jobs as:
- Middle school teachers
- High school teachers
- Learning center instructors
Get your customized answers
Complete the form below to get program details, start dates, tuition, financial aid information, and much more!