AS in Accounting Specialist
Individuals who may be interested in Virginia College's Associate - Accounting Specialist program may already have experience in the accounting sector and simply desire additional training. Others may have an interest in attaining career entry skills. Read more about the Associate - Accounting Specialist program here.
Official Program Name:
Associate - Accounting Specialist
School Offering Program:
Individuals interested in enrolling in Virginia College's Associate - Accounting Specialist program should have graduated from high school or earned a GED. They may be extremely meticulous and have a knack for working with numbers.
The Associate - Accounting Specialist curriculum is designed to teach students how to use computers to analyze financial data and complete accounting tasks. Students have the opportunity to learn to create and manage financial spreadsheets. Program participants also focus on accounting specialist skills related to payroll processes and federal income tax procedures. Students also take a class to help them prepare for the professional Certified Bookkeeper national certification exam.
Online and Campus-Based
Total Credits Required:
96 quarter credit hours
Financial Aid Available:
The Virginia College Financial Planning Department is prepared to help discuss scholarships, Pell Grants, and student loans for those who qualify.
Tuition, Financial Aid & Start Dates
Since every student is different, there isn't a "one size fits all" for school information. Start dates and tuition often vary between selected programs, and financial aid opportunities are unique to each student's circumstances. Complete the form to the right to get the most up-to-date and accurate information based on your selected program and circumstances.
Still Have Questions?
Complete this form to request more info and get your answers and advice.
Required Courses for an Associate - Accounting Specialist:
Degree program and course requirements are subject to change. Contact Virginia College to confirm the most accurate information before enrolling in a program.
Accounting Specialist Concentration Courses
- AOM 1010: Keyboarding (4 credits)
- AOM 1100: Word Processing (4 credits)
- AOM 1200: Spreadsheets (4 credits)
- AOM 2230: Intermediate Spreadsheets (4 credits)
- BUS 1000: Introduction to Business (4 credits)
- BUS 1410: Principles of Accounting I (4 credits)
- BUS 1420: Principles of Accounting II (4 credits)
- BUS 1460: Computerized Accounting (4 credits)
- BUS 1470: Computerized Payroll Accounting (4 credits)
- BUS 2300: Individual Federal Tax Accounting (4 credits)
- BUS 2350: Intermediate Accounting I (4 credits)
- BUS 2490: Advanced Computerized Accounting (4 credits)
- BUS 2590: Business Accounting Simulation (4 credits)
- BUS 2640: Certified Bookkeeper Exam Review (4 credits)
- Concentration Electives (8 credits)
- EDU 1010: Learning Framework (4 credits)
- EDU 1020: Career Exploration/Planning (4 credits)
Students select general education courses with the help of a Program Director.
- Communications (12 credits)
- Humanities and Fine Arts (4 credits)
- Mathematics (4 credits)
- Social and Behavioral Sciences (4 credits)
Furthering Your Education:
Graduates of Virginia College's Associate - Accounting Specialist program have the chance to further their education with professional certifications or a higher degree. Bachelor's degree programs that graduates could pursue include (but are not limited to):
- Bachelor of Science in Finance and Accounting
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration with an Accounting emphasis
- Bachelor of Science in Private Sector Accounting
The Associate - Accounting Specialist program is designed to teach students accounting theories and practical applications. Program graduates may be able to find employment in government organizations, business offices, nonprofit agencies, or accounting firms. Additionally, with experience, accounting specialist graduates could be able to advance to supervisory positions.
Entry-level positions graduates could pursue may include:
- Accounting assistant
- Personal income tax clerk
- Accounts payable/receivable specialist
- Auditing clerk
- Collections clerk
Get your customized answers
Complete the form below to get program details, start dates, tuition, financial aid information, and much more!