Students interested in pursuing a postsecondary education in or near Radford, VA, can choose from among several public and private schools. Read about how the traditional schools compare to each other in several categories from information provided by the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES).
Closest Schools to Radford, Virginia
Most of the schools that are close to Radford are 4-year institutions, but there are a few 2-year schools available. Many of these 4-year schools offer graduate degree programs as well.
- Radford University (3.3 miles from downtown)
- New River Community College (6.6 miles from downtown)
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University (11.7 miles from downtown)
- American National University (29.1 miles from downtown)
- ITT Technical Institute-Salem (29.1 miles from downtown)
Largest Schools Near Radford, Virginia
Some of the largest schools near Radford are community colleges and 4-year public schools. Overall, student populations in the area range from less than 100 to over 30,000 students.
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University (31,224 students)
- Radford University (9,798 students)
- Virginia Western Community College (8,632 students)
- New River Community College (4,585 students)
- Wytheville Community College (3,302 students)
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
Lowest Net Price
The NCES supplies a net price calculation for each school that takes into account the average monetary value of financial aid received by full-time undergrad students who applied for financial aid, and subtracts that from the total cost of attendance. All of the following statistics are supplied by the NCES, and the net price figures are the NCES calculations for 2014-2015. Several community colleges in the area had some of the lowest net prices.
- Wytheville Community College ($2,081)
- Patrick Henry Community College ($5,389)
- New River Community College ($6,384)
- Virginia Western Community College ($6,678)
- Radford University ($13,903)
Highest Graduation Rate
The schools nearest Radford differ greatly in their rates of successfully graduating students, with rates for all schools ranging from 21% to 83% for 2015. The NCES tabulates a school's overall graduation rate as the percentage of full-time undergraduate students entering postsecondary education for the first time in a given cohort year who received an academic award in 150% of the time it should normally take to complete - 6 years for a bachelor's degree, for example. All of the following graduation and retention rate statistics are from the NCES.
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University (83% graduation rate)
- Roanoke College (66% graduation rate)
- Radford University (59% graduation rate)
- Hollins University (57% graduation rate)
- Skyline College-Roanoke (48% graduation rate)
Students can select from various public or private schools that differ in location, size, price, and graduation rates in the Radford, VA, area.