Recreation Studies PhD Program Information
A few different degree programs are available for students who want to study recreation at the Ph.D. level. These include the Doctor of Philosophy in Recreation and Leisure Studies, the Doctor of Philosophy in Recreation Resources and the Doctor of Philosophy in Recreation and Tourism Studies.
Most Ph.D. programs related to recreation studies last anywhere from 3-5 years, and students choose a particular area of focus, such as recreation and leisure administration, recreational behavior and cultural studies, or resources for recreational and leisure activities. Students are typically expected to complete graduate-level coursework, pass examinations, and complete a dissertation project.
- Recreation Program Fields: Recreation and leisure studies, recreation resources, recreation and tourism studies
- Prerequisites: Bachelor's degree, master's degree preferred
- Program Length: Three to five years
- Some Specializations Include: Recreation and leisure administration, recreational behavior and cultural studies, resources for recreational and leisure activities
- Other Requirements: Examinations, dissertation
Recreation Studies PhD Programs
Most Ph.D. programs require that applicants have completed a master's degree program, or at least a bachelor's degree program, and submit an essay indicating their chosen concentration of study. Some schools also require that students select a faculty advisor in their concentration area. Students are often required to do a great deal of individual work and research related to their specific chosen concentration, in addition to core classwork. Common core classes include:
- Theoretical issues in leisure studies
- Quantitative research data analysis
- Resources and policy in recreation
- Contemporary issues in recreation
- Work and health research seminar
- Fundamentals of aging and well-being
Popular Career Choices
Many individuals who graduate with a doctoral degree eventually enter the field of academia as professors or administrators. Some other professions related to recreation that might be of interest to doctoral graduates include:
- Park recreation administrator
- Director of recreational services
- Tourism coordinator
- Athletic director
- Research manager
- Recreation and leisure consultant
- Recreation therapist
- Recreation sales agent
Related to Recreation Phd
- Recently Updated
Read about degree programs in recreation studies, which can help students prepare for careers in parks departments, the tourism...
Browse program summaries in recreation studies. Learn about the coursework that is required and see a list of potential career...
An online recreation studies program can be difficult to find, depending on what degree or certificate is sought; however,...
Recreation studies encompasses a wide variety of topics. Many schools offer online courses in this area, and students can...
- Adaptive Recreation Makes Sports Accessible
- Salary and Career Info for a Recreation Instructor
- Recreation Therapist: Job Description, Duties and Requirements
- Salary and Career Information for a Bachelors Degree in Business
- Library Science Degree Program Summaries
- Graduate Certificate in Accounting: Program Summary
- Associate of Office System Technologist: Degree Overview